Within one JIRA project can I use multiple workflows based on issue type?

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2014

I created a new Issue type called Build. I copied the project's existing issue type scheme, added "Build" to it, then associated the project with the new scheme.

I want issues of type "Build" to use a different workflow than other issue types in the same project.

I thought I could do this, but now that I am attempting to implement it, I can't figure out the right sequence of events. Maybe this isn't possible?

Thanks for your help.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Subhendu Chattopadhyay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2014

Yes you can do this. Please find the link below for details https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+workflow+schemes

The key is create a separate workflow scheme and associated with the issue type.

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2014

Cool. I had the new workflow created. I couldn't figure out where to do the link. All working now. Thanks!

Sapna Sharma February 4, 2019

Please Tell it is Possible to Create to different workflow on single Project with Different kanban board

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2019

Please do not mix up oroject, workflow and boards, they are all different things.

• A project contains a set of issues
  • A board is a view of a selection of issues.  Often, yes, we select a whole single project for a board, but a board can easily have a selection from several projects and be more specific (for example "only bugs from projects A, B and D)
  • A workflow is a map of a process that an issue goes through.

So, workflows only interact with boards by telling them board what status issues can have.

To "Create to different workflow on single Project with Different kanban board", as best as I can understand it, create two workflows and put them in a scheme so that you have two different issue types following different flows.  Use that scheme in one project.  Then set up the two or more Kanban boards you need and tell them to look at that project.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Joseph W_ June 27, 2020

The only project type that currently supports multiple Boards & workflows is the Classic Software Project.  A Classic Business allows only one Workflow, and will automatically build its board to match it.  Any Next-Gen Software project does not use a workflow, and therefore cannot be configured in the same ways.

0 votes
Platon Borodatyi February 28, 2018

Hey guys,

I found that we can create a different workflow for different projects, but cannot see how to create 2 & more workflows within 1 project, so I still фиде to see all on my dashboard.

Do you have any thoughts how I can do this?

Thanks, Platon

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2018

Look at the "workflow scheme" for the project.  This maps workflow on to different issue types for the project you use it in

Like Kvalitet center likes this
Sapna Sharma February 4, 2019

while I had created two workflow on single Project But when i am Creating Issue on 1 project then it is visible to another Board

msaufiabrahim March 25, 2019

I created a workflow for project A

Project B is using project A board

Then in project B i switch to use project A workflow.

I notice in project B the status is duplicate. I.e in progress will have additional in progress (2) . To do will have another to do (2)

Suggest an answer