Within Jira Forms (ProForma), is there a way to bubble up a validation message?

Patrick Kramer May 5, 2022

Scenario

- We have a form where we want the user to pick a Peer Reviewer from a User Pick List, however the User should not be able to pick themselves. I'd like to be able to give a Warning/Error to to the user that this selection isn't valid with custom text indicating why.

Is this possible or has somebody figured out a way to solve for this?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2022

Hi @Patrick Kramer 

Can I confirm you're looking to request users to...

• pick a Peer Reviewer from a User Picker Custom Field but...
  • limit the options in the User Picker, to a subset of the wider use base and...
  • if an incorrect user is chosen, display a warning message

If yes, not that I know of natively (for either need). For warning messages, these are displayed as red text validation under the field.

If the Peer Review list is static - you could avoid the need for a warning message and...

• Create a Select List (single choice) custom field
  • Populate it with the relevant list of users as options
  • Put this field on the Form
  • Use Automation to set the User Picker custom field, based on the option chosen

If the list is dynamic though (i.e changes depending on other Issue parameters) - it might be quite complex to do this.

In that instance I'd probably recommend detailing more about the scenario/process and the need, so we can advise further.

Or, if this doesn't sound like it covers your requirements - let us know more details :)

Ste

Patrick Kramer May 10, 2022

Thank you for the response. 

The list condition I want to validate is that the Peer Reviewer can't be the same as user filling out the form. So I want to be able to see that they Peer Reviewer selected = Issue.Reporter (or something to that affect) to indicate to the user that they can't select themselves. 

We have these types of requirements often where we want conditional validation prior to the form being submitted to avoid errors or bad data from. I'm hoping there's functionality or a creative solution to do these validation checks and then show the user these warnings prior to accepting the form submission.

Suggest an answer