Why issue's keys increment randomly to high numbers?

Bartosz Wojciechowski November 26, 2019

Hi,

I am using Jira Cloud Software. I've created a new project and when I am adding tasks, their keys increment randomly to a high number. So for example:

- I have created 4 sprints in Jira

- I have started adding a tasks in sprint 1

- The first task's key is AA-6

- The second task's key is AA-19

- The third task's key is AA-32

Do you know what is the reason for this? We have more projects in Jira and it is the first time that we see it.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2019

I note from your data that there is a delta of 12 between each. My theory is that there is some automation creating sub-tasks when you create an issue. As Leonard suggested first verify if there are indeed gaps.

Thanks, after AA-32 it started working correctly. More details in my reply to Leonard's answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2019

Check your issues by executing this query:

project = AA order by key asc

Might be that your boards dont show everything.

If there are "holes" in the numbers, it is most likely that the issues were deleted.

This is a newly created project so I didn't delete anything yet.

I used the query proposed by Leonard and I can see the same issues as on the board.

I added few more tasks and after AA-32 incrementation works correctly so right now I have AA-32, AA-33, AA-34, AA-35. Maybe the problem was related to the four sprints that I've created in the backlog before creating the board.

Thank you for you answers.

Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2019

Strange thing. Last thing to try: Type the key of a "missing" item in the search field (e.g. AA-7)

If it was moved to another project, then you will be redirected to the new key.

Like Bartosz Wojciechowski likes this
Bartosz Wojciechowski November 27, 2019

Thank you! Now I can see that one of the previous project initially had a key AA and then was changed to AK. When I typed key of a missing item in the search filed it redirected me to another project.

Like Leonard Chew likes this
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2019

Great thing this mystery is solved :-).

In the activity-history of the issue, you will see when the issue was moved by whom.

Suggest an answer