Why is there no story points field option during issue creation within scrum

Tobi Schulte July 9, 2015

Hi!

I just created a Scrum Project and want to use story points for estimation. Looking at the board there is story points set for estimation but as soon as I create an issue I cannot set any story points.Neither for task nor for story. I actually thought that the burn down sheet is based on buring story points on the Y-Axxis so where do this chart gets the infornation from.

Ok, I can go to "Where is my field" but now I get some warnings:

I have that bad feeling of doing something wrong since it is so 'complicated' to add these "Story Points". Is there a rease why the "Story Points" are so 'hidden'?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

Originally Story Points are only available for Story and Epic issue types.

In the table on this page you find how to change it.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/JIRA+Agile+-+JIRA+Configuration

Thanks for your answer. I created an "Scrum software development" project and neither on Story nor on Epic issue type I have story points available (not even under 'Configure Fields')

I can set an estimation but only after adding the issue to a sprint. That makes no sense to me though!

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

Found following hint: Custom fields in JIRA (story points is a custom field) can be configured with a context that restricts it's usage to certain projects and/or issue types. To check this, please go to Administration >> Custom Fields. Look out for the Available Context(s) column.

Like # people like this
Kiril Nikolaev September 21, 2020

This is what I was looking for! Available Context.. Man, that is confusing. Thank you!

Beth Morin-Kensicki May 20, 2021

@Udo Brand Thank you.  After 2-days of seemingly endless circular clicking...  Thank you.

Suggest an answer