Why is JIRA trying to load greenhopper batch.css & batch.js?

Square1Art Admin October 20, 2016

Frequently JIRA attempts to load batch.css and batch.js from greenhopper, which I don't have.  This results in a 400/Bad Request error and various parts of pages not loading (left sidebar when looking at boards, left sidebar AND main content window when looking at project queues.)

I'm running JIRA Software (+ Service Desk & Core) behind an IIS/ARR reverse proxy, and have gone over the various setup help pages several times for this configuration.  This problem does not occur when I don't use the proxy, but I can't figure out what's causing JIRA to request greenhopper-related URLs when I don't even have greenhopper.

This error occurs with both Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge, but so far I have not seen it occur when using Google Chrome.  Most of the time if I do a forced refresh (Ctrl-F5), the page reloads without the issue, but when I switch to a different board/project the problem returns.

The URLs that are being attempted and resulting in the error are:

https://jira.mydomain.com/s/4dc0880f3657c58b4a9359de42815030-T/tdod4n/72002/01b32b66f1a9832636b5f267a1988181/3cc6b29c96886a9162090018e4a5e00a/_/download/contextbatch/css/com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-rapid-inline-editable,jira.project.sidebar,com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-development-integration-plugin:devstatus-dialog-resources-ctx,-_super,-atl.general,-gh-rapid,-jira.project.sidebar,-com.atlassian.jira.projects.sidebar.init,-jira.general,-greenhopper-rapid-non-gadget/batch.css?agile_global_admin_condition=true&atlassian.aui.raphael.disabled=true&healthcheck-resources=true&is-server-instance=true&is-system-admin=true&jag=true&jaguser=true&nps-acknowledged=true&nps-not-opted-out=true&sd_operational=true

https://jira.mydomain.com/s/771218b41b601d5c740b20c5a48063cf-T/tdod4n/72002/01b32b66f1a9832636b5f267a1988181/3cc6b29c96886a9162090018e4a5e00a/_/download/contextbatch/js/com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-rapid-inline-editable,jira.project.sidebar,com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-development-integration-plugin:devstatus-dialog-resources-ctx,-_super,-atl.general,-gh-rapid,-jira.project.sidebar,-com.atlassian.jira.projects.sidebar.init,-jira.general,-greenhopper-rapid-non-gadget/batch.js?agile_global_admin_condition=true&atlassian.aui.raphael.disabled=true&healthcheck-resources=true&is-server-instance=true&is-system-admin=true&jag=true&jaguser=true&locale=en-US&nps-acknowledged=true&nps-not-opted-out=true&sd_operational=true

The URLs that are loading correctly after a forced refresh are:

https://jira.mydomain.com/s/8f88f7e2753008a72f898a5354fb617a-T/tdod4n/72002/01b32b66f1a9832636b5f267a1988181/d0363eaafa008888aec813203bc736d9/_/download/contextbatch/css/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-development-integration-plugin:devstatus-dialog-resources-ctx,-_super,-atl.general,-gh-rapid/batch.css?agile_global_admin_condition=true&atlassian.aui.raphael.disabled=true&healthcheck-resources=true&is-server-instance=true&is-system-admin=true&jag=true&jaguser=true&nps-acknowledged=true&nps-not-opted-out=true&sd_operational=true

https://jira.mydomain.com/s/af7f59ae55205872b367b77a02071ed5-T/tdod4n/72002/01b32b66f1a9832636b5f267a1988181/d0363eaafa008888aec813203bc736d9/_/download/contextbatch/js/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-development-integration-plugin:devstatus-dialog-resources-ctx,-_super,-atl.general,-gh-rapid/batch.js?agile_global_admin_condition=true&atlassian.aui.raphael.disabled=true&healthcheck-resources=true&is-server-instance=true&is-system-admin=true&jag=true&jaguser=true&locale=en-US&nps-acknowledged=true&nps-not-opted-out=true&sd_operational=true

3 answers

0 votes
mikeada October 9, 2019

I know this is an old post but if anyone comes across it the issue is the URL length of the proxy limited to 260 chars.  It looks like the batch.css and batch.js files (which have a segment path name of greenhopper which is the original agile plugin for jira that did agile boards before it was integrated into Jira software), those files will randomly have paths just above or just below the 260 char limit.

Here's the other Jira post that I found that I can confirm solves the issue: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/400-Bad-Request-when-linking-issues-after-upgrading-to-JIRA-7-3/qaq-p/587541

Which involves adding a registry entry called UrlSegmentMaxLength to 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP\Parameters

I set mine to 2048 hex value and for some reason I had to do a full restart of the IIS proxy machine as i couldn't get the service restart techniques to work.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2016

As you've already worked out, the greenhopper reference is there simply because Atlassian haven't removed the word from their code in Software (some of it is there simply because it's as good a name as any - it's only used by APIs which really don't care what something is called as long as it's unique)

In fact, it's totally irrelevant, you'd have the same problem if it had been renamed Software, Mr Flibble or somerandomstring.  The problem is something incorrect in your proxy setup, as you say the problem doesn't occur when you bypass it.  I'm afraid I can't tell you what though, you'll need to dig through the IIS logs to see what it's doing.

0 votes
Square1Art Admin October 20, 2016

OK, after doing some research trying to figure out what greenhopper is, I see that it's what JIRA Software was called in some previous versions.

So, I do have JIRA Software, but I've never had a version where it was called greenhopper, and I still don't understand why this is breaking or how to get it fixed.

My software users can live with this for awhile, but I've been considering expanding JIRA usage outside the IT department.  I can't subject non-tech users to this issue.

Suggest an answer