Why doesn't Internet Explorer automatically log in from email link?

Andrew Pratt March 3, 2013

In the past couple of weeks, our users who run IE as their browser have been having issues with accessing issues which the Permission helper says they should be able to access.

In one case, a user went to a different machine, logged in with his account and was able to access everything. Both machines were running IE8.

In another case, a user clicked on an issue link in an email from our jira instance, the system opened the issues list page with no issues listed and the spinning progress wheel. In the top right, the Log In button was sitting there. BUT even after clicking the Log In button and logging in, Jira didn't take him to the issue but to the last list of issues he was looking at. Tried going through the Log In page and checking off the "Keep Me Logged In" box, then clicking on the issue link from the email. Same result. In this case, IE9.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

Update March 10, 2013

Created an issue with Jira support for the first issue. Ended up having the user switch to Chrome which is working fine.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Pratt March 17, 2013

Basically found that clicking so the link is automatically opened in the IE browser or pasting the link from Outlook into a browser and then hitting the refresh (F5) works if the user had previously logged in to OnDemand with IE and clicked the "remember me" checkbox..

Note that this was after applying the fixes recommended by Michael Knight. Not sure what happens with the refresh approach if the fixes haven't been applied. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/144133/why-doesn-t-internet-explorer-automatically-log-in-from-email-link/144325

1 vote
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2013

It sounds like you are running into the following problem with following links to OnDemand instances from MS applications: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-6317

There is a link to the workaround in the issue.

Andrew Pratt March 4, 2013

Thanks Michael, let me try it out with the users who were reporting it.

Andrew Pratt March 4, 2013

I agree that the one problem sounds exactly like the AOD-6317. But no success. Microsoft's Mr. FixIt didn't. I didn't check the items from the manual fix method.

The other problem mentioned doesn't seem to fit at all, although we tried the same fix. Also compared IE settings between a computer that worked and the one that doesn't. Made a few changes but the user still can't access his issues although Permission Helper says he can, and he can if he uses another machine.

Maybe I'll raise a support issue with Atlassian on the unable to access issues or even create an issue filter one.

Andrew Pratt March 10, 2013

Now I have duplicated the problem on my computer as follows:

Windows 7, IE9 set as default browser, Microsoft Outlook. Previously logged in and indicated that my login should be remembered.

If I click a link to a Jira issue in Outlook, IE9 opens and shows a filter page with no issues, a spinning progress icon and with the log in button in the top right. If I click the login button, I'm immediately taken to the the last list of issues I looked at but not the issue who's link I clicked.

If I copy the hyperlink from Outlook, open IE9 manually and paste the hyperlink, I get the same result.

If I open IE9 manually, open up something on Jira - issue list, dashboard, then click the hyperlink in Outlook, another tab is opened in IE9 and the issue opens in the new tab.

Similarly, if I open IE9 manually, open up something in Jira, then copy and paste the issue hyperlink copied from Outlook either in the same tab or a new tab, the issue opens.

(Normally, I use Chrome as my default browser and it has no problem with any of the above scenarios)

Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2013

Hi Andrew, can you provide the actual link you're pasting from Outlook on the manually open IE that fails to work (second IF). You can annonymize any important information on the link if you're concerned.

Andrew Pratt March 12, 2013

Hi Felipe,

Url as copied from Outlook reads: https://myinstance.jira.com/browse/SPT-8496

After pasting into IE and hitting enter, it flashes to the same basic url with more characters attached and then changes to: https://myinstance.jira.com/i#browse/SPT-8496 with the results as described above.

Interestingly, if I do a refresh of the web page(F5) at this point, it works. Logs in and displays the issue.

But if I take the original URL, add in the i#, the problem is still there.

I found that if I'm not logged in, I paste the link from Outlook, the normal login prompt comes up and when I log in, the issue is displayed.

The same things seem to occur with IE9 just clicking the link as happen when it's pasted.

I'll go see what happens with my users running IE8.

Andrew Pratt March 13, 2013

The refresh worked in IE8 as well. The user was OK with that solution.

Make sure previously logged in to OnDemand in Internet Explorer. Click the issue link in Outlook. Browser opens with "progress" wheel and Log In button but no issue. Hit the refresh button or F5 in the browser. Issue opens correctly.

Md Masud October 25, 2017

i can't log in https://id.atlassian.com  site

Suggest an answer