Why closed Epics still appear in the epic pannel?

Gaspar Dias March 27, 2013

We use greenhopper 10.1 and its agile board functionalities. We also use to create epics to group feature related user stories.

We noticed that after an epic and respective children user stories are closed, the epic still appear in the epic pannel.

Is this the expected result? How can we hide the closed epics from the epic pannel.

Thanks in advance

Gaspar

8 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
JoanneA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2013

Hi Gasper,

The "Mark as Done" option might not show up if you don't have permission to edit the epic, or also if your epic field configuration has changed. Also, the functionality to mark as done was introduced in GreenHopper 6.1 (the latest version is 6.1.7).

Please can you check the following:

* If Epics is enabled through GreenHopper Labs, then you are on an older version of GreenHopper (go to GreenHopper Labs in Admin and look for an Epics checkbox)

* If you are unable to edit the epic name, it coud be a permissions issue (unlikely)

* Go to the Custom Fields, look for the Epic Status field and click "View", and check what appears under Options - you should have the following:

If it's none of these things then please raise a ticket at https://support.atlassian.com and they can help diagnose what's going on.

Thanks!

Gaspar Dias April 10, 2013

Hello Joanne,

It sems that in order to have the "mark as Done" available in my Epics pannel I need to switch my configurations to GreenHopper Simplified Workflow.

I'm not able to change it rigth now since I need to contact administrator to do that.

Thanks a lot for yout hints

Regards

Gaspar

JoanneA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2013

Hi Gasper,

That seems strange, we have a board without the simplified workflow but it still has the option to Mark as Done.

Please do let me know if this works for you!

Robert Vining June 27, 2013

Joanne's answer above about setting the Epic Status is what made the 'Mark as Done' menu item show up in the Plan board for me. I have On Demand 6.2.3 and have used Epics since the 'Labs' days. When the new Epics were added to Greenhopper, there were 2 Epic Status fields showing in the Custom Fields. 1 of them had the Options set as shown above, but the second Epic Status field didn't have any Values. I simply added the Values shown in the Screenshot above and clicked Done. Now Mark as Done shows up in the plan board and works as designed.

Thanks Joanne!

Deleted user November 12, 2018

How can we hide the Rejected epics from the epic panel.

3 votes
sarah roberts January 9, 2018

i'm having a very similar issue now we're on the latest JIRA version - I've marked an EPIC as 'closed' on it's actual page, however when going back to the backlog and looking down the epic pane I cannot mark the epic as 'done' because if its 'workflow status'.

In the old JIRA, when an epic was marked as done, you could then go back into the backlog, look on the pane with the epics and mark as done from there, and therefore removing that epic from that pane and archiving it. 

How can I again move completed epics out of the backlog epic pane?

upston April 10, 2018

Hi Sarah,

I had the same problem and came across your comment.  I have since found the answer here.

Simply put, it's just a case of selecting the dropdown for the epic in the epics list, and selecting "Mark as done". 

Like Teri Manton likes this
1 vote
Blair Gemmer July 23, 2018

Found the answer by exploring the UI:

Even if the Epic issue is "DONE", it will show up in the Epics panel. To mark as done and remove from Epics panel in Backlog, you have to go to the Epic and there's a dropdown next to the name of the Epic to "Mark as Done":

mark_as_done.png

Christian Rodriguez August 8, 2018

But why? This is ridiculous and shouldn't be necessary. Why do I need to mark my epic as "Done" twice?!

Like # people like this
Blair Gemmer August 9, 2018

I'm on your side, Christian. Hopefully a dev from Atlassian latches on and fixes this weird issue.

1 vote
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2013

Hi there,

Have you tried close epic as described from the documentation below?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Completing+an+Epic

Hope this helps, cheers :)

Gaspar Dias April 7, 2013

Hi Richie,

It seems that I don't have the option "Mark as Done" in the epic as suggested in th econfluence page.

richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2013

Hey Gaspar,

You raised this as on demand, and for the GreenHopper on demand platform, it is always updated with the latest version, therefore I presume that you are running the latest version at the time I posted the answer.

For your case, as answered below by Joanne, to get the best out of GreenHopper, please consider upgrading to later version to get the most out of it :)

Or alternatively, you can provide the version used together with which version of Jira used so that the community can suggest the most appropriate workaround for this :)

Cheers!

George Tellechea February 8, 2017

Hi Richie,

I'm having the same issue you had in 2013 but I'm now on the latest cloud version.  I have no idea why i can't "mark as done" from the board, nor why the epics will not disappear from the board once I've marked them as "done" from the details view.  Can you help?  Thanks!

0 votes
Katy Šrámková May 15, 2018

If you are system admin, you can adjust your epic workflow transition to set "Epic Status" field to "Done".

gunnar.falk October 14, 2019

I tried this, i wasn't offered "Epic Status" field. I can update the resolution, but not the "Epic status" field.

Spencer Viray January 6, 2020

Thanks Katy. It worked for me.

@gunnar.falk Are you looking under "Post Functions" -> "Update Issue Custom Field"? It's there for Jira Cloud at least. Not sure about Server.

0 votes
Gaspar Dias June 27, 2013

Hello, I've just confirmed that "my" Greenhopper version does not support the Mark as Done feature.
The option “Mark as done“ in Epic panel is available only in Green Hopper 6.1 version above.
Currently Jira is using Green Hopper 6.0.8 version that is why you are not able to view this option in the Epic panel.

Best regards

Gaspar

0 votes
MS June 2, 2013

We have the same problem and I have no idea why the option is not present

0 votes
Gaspar Dias April 22, 2013

Hi Richie,

We use EE Jira 5.1 and GreenHopper 101

Thanks and regards

Suggest an answer