How do you remove a closed JIRA epic for the list of Epic links?

Paul White March 6, 2018

I read the similar questions and work around from 2 years ago but no solution has been proposed.  This is still very annoying to my team as we work through several closed Epics.  The list will continue to grow as we go froward and will become even more annoying.  Once the Epic is closed (and all related stories closed), how do we not see that Epic link when creating a new story?

We have reasons for keeping all closed stories and epics avail and the copy it off to a backup workaround is not acceptable to our team.  Thank you very much.

4 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

To complete an epic:

1. Navigate to the Backlog of your Board
  2. Open the Epics Panel on the left

3. Click the drop-down arrow for your epic, and select Mark as Done.

This might be done while your epic is in progress status. Then you should not see this on the list unless you click "Show done epics" in the drop down list

Paul White March 6, 2018

Perfect.  Thank you very much.

Alexandra Moraru September 25, 2018

Hi Mirek,

This works if you were to take away the epic from the Epic panel, however I can still see it (even if closed, even if marked as done) in the Epic Field within the issue - would you know how to limit that view when you try to modify the already created task?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Service April 30, 2019

Hi Mirek. Same issue as Alexandra Moraru. Is there any resolution to this? As-is, we will just accumulate epics indefinitely with no way to remove completed ones from the "Epic Link" search field.

Like # people like this
Aaron Ponzani May 30, 2019

Change "Epic Status" to "Done" as well as "Status" to "Closed"

Will remove it from the Epics panel and the Epic Link dropdown.

Like # people like this
Bob Prescott July 10, 2019

Changing the Epic Status to "Done" works great in the Epic Link dropdown on the Create Issue page, but not in the new Issue View (which still shows all epics, regardless of Epic Status).

Like # people like this
Sean Hansford July 11, 2019

Ditto @Bob i can get the dropdown on the view list to unpopulate.

I also cant see the Epic status when viewing the epic on the issue view page.

Matheus August 6, 2019

Hi all. I've tried everything. Status and resolution. But I still can see the Epic in the dropdownlist from the issue view. Even though I can't see the epic in the left panel from the backlog view anymore, I still can see from the right panel (issue quick view) or in the entire issue view (modal view or full view).

Any other idea guys? Is this a Jira bug?

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
Nate Greensphan May 8, 2020

Thanks for pointing us to the direction of this issue. Voted for it. Hopefully they fix this bug soon.

Robert Mota September 29, 2020

Hi guys,

Would you have the reverse? e.g. reopen a "Marked as done" Epic ?

Best regards

---- 

The answer : If you don't see the field 'Epic Status' on the epic, you will need to add it to the screen scheme being used by the epic to be able to edit and change it.

Like # people like this
Alberto Aragón May 13, 2021

Thank you @Robert Mota !

Your solution is exactly what I was looking for :)

Like # people like this
Tri-Tronics Admin March 24, 2022

Is there a similar solution for team-managed projects? Granted the application is different: I'd like completed epics to not show up in the epic-selection within the header of a story.

Chris Figy July 18, 2022

Did the team's version change recently? The below is not possible: 

To complete an epic:

1. Navigate to the Backlog of your Board
  2. Open the Epics Panel on the left

3. Click the drop-down arrow for your epic, and select Mark as Done.

Like # people like this
Josiah Bryan February 3, 2023

Agreed, this is broken. Still shows Done epics in the "Epic Panel" in the Backlog. Why in the world would you want to do that? Also making a custom filter to hide "status = Done" doesn't serve to hide Epics - only hides Done issues. How do we GET RID OF "Done" epics without DELETING them?

Like # people like this
Michael, Janine August 9, 2023

It's not working anymore since migration to the cloud. :( 

3 votes
dev-kxmn June 3, 2021

At the moment I didn't find any way to hide accomplished epics.

What I did: Created a new task type named "Resolved Epic" also in purple icon.

When an epic is correctly done and tested, I click on the epic icon and change the task type from Epic to Resolved Epic.

---

To create a new task type in go in any task and click on configuration wheel at right up corner. You'll be sent to a field configurations, at left you can add a new task type.

0 votes
S Fong July 8, 2021

Can someone tell me how to unhide epics that are previously set as "Done" and disappeared on the epics panel on Backlog screen?

Robert Mota July 9, 2021

Hi Sylvia,

As I said some comments above (and you liked it :)  )

----

You have to change the 'Epic Status' editing the Epic itself.

- If you don't see the field 'Epic Status' on the epic, you will need to add it to the edit-screen in the screen scheme being used by the epic to be able to edit and change it.

Like daniela.cardenas likes this
S Fong July 11, 2021

Great!  Thank you, Robert.

Like daniela.cardenas likes this
0 votes
Ida hashemi September 12, 2019

Hi guys,

The best way to remove the done epic from everywhere (specially the board) is to edit the Filter Query on the board to exclude the done epics. This will remove it from everywhere basically.

Best,

Ida

Like # people like this
Eva van Viegen July 15, 2020

Hi Ida,

This is not a good solution, as the epic will still show if there is one story that is open in it. Why can't there be a filter on epic-status specifically?

Ida hashemi July 15, 2020

Hi Eva,

technically if there's an open ticket under the epic that epic is not closed. But I agree with you that we need to be able to filter epics in a better way. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer