Why can't I assign an issue to a user who should have permission??

Greetings Jira helpers,

I am the administrator for Jira at my company. I have global and project permissions set so I can assign users in a specific group to an issue. I can assign an issue to myself or the reporter and that is it. What do I need to do so I can assign an issue to anyone in the group?

Thanks!

Darrin

11 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer

You can continue this question in the Jira Support Ticket:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-27396

1 vote

Mak sure the 'Assignable Users' permission is granted to the required users, either via project roles or groups.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

I have added a new user and set permissions so he is assignable.

His name does not show up in the suggest box. If I type the first letter of his name, it does show up.

He can assign issues, but his name is the only name in his suggest box. If he types the first letter of a name, he can assign an issue to that person.

So it looks like permissions are set up right, but the assign suggest boxes are not showing the names of the users. This makes it hard for the new kid. Nobody can assign him work. He can assign work to himself but to nobody else.

Is this by design or is there something we need to do when adding a new user to 1) have that user listed in our suggest boxes for assignment and 2) have our names in that user's suggest box for issue assignment?

This is by design! Watch the issue mentioned in the above 'Accepted' answer from Ramiro.

You have to go to the project administration, and in the tab 'people' you need to specify what users would be in what rol. Hope this helps!

Actually, it does not help. I have added those permissions but I'm not getting a full like of the users from the group...

If the user is already in the peolpe tab of the project then is like Jobin said.

Check if the other users or the group of the users have the permission called 'Assignable User' and check if you selected the correct permission scheme in the project administration.

And just in case, check if the users have the 'Browse Project' permission.

Thank you guys for helping out. Every person in the group is part of 1 or more groups where they have Assignable permissions and browse project permissions. I checked the permission scheme and it looks correct. the users can assign themself to the issue, I just can't see the full list of users to assign them.

They can get inside the issue an assign to them? And someone how can assign himself you can't assign him? That's pretty odd. Does your user have permission to assign another user?

Could be the same issue as this question

Yep! that is it. I can assign them (and only those in the group), but I can't see the list. I saw the hosted solution for this. Is there an ondemand work around for this?

OK. so, you can consider this question closed.

You could post a comment in the support asking the solution for the on-demand version because it seems to be a Jira bug.

OK, you can select an answer to mark it and make this question 'finalized'

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Jan 08, 2019 in Jira

How to Jira for designers

I’m a designer on the Jira team. For a long time, I’ve fielded questions from other designers about how they should be using Jira Software with their design team. I’ve also heard feedback from other ...

930 views 3 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you