Why are notifications not sent if an issue does not have a request type?

Drew July 14, 2022

Hello,

I've found that in one of our projects, customer notifications are not sent out if there is not a request type filled in on the issue.

As to why there would not be a request type, this happens when users create an issue using this create button:

create_button.jpg

I'm not sure if this is by design, or if there is a server processing error that occurs if there is no request type on the issue. We have customer notifications turned on in the project, so I am under the assumption that the notification should be sent out regardless of how the issue was created.

customer_notifications.jpg

Any help on this would be appreciated

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

Hi @Drew

I did not know about the link with customer notifications, but it is definitely true that a request type must be selected in order for a request to be visible on the customer portal.

Basically, tickets via de portal (and evidently by customers) can only be created via those request types. The create button in Jira itself is only available to internal users and the internal notifications mechanism is used to notify them of the configured changes. So I would dare to assume that this is effectively by design.

Hope this helps! 

Drew July 14, 2022

Thanks for the reply @Walter Buggenhout 

In this case we're using the Create button to create an issue on the behalf of a customer, in which they're added as the reporter. When we experience the issue of no notifications being sent out, it's not being sent to the reporter nor any request participants added until we manually add a request type.

It just comes off to me that it shouldn't be assumed that a task wouldn't need to send out notifications just because it doesn't have a request type. Our customer notification settings should take precedence. That being said, I think this may have something to do with it: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management-articles/Improving-the-Create-Issue-Experience-in-Jira-Service-Management/ba-p/2071476/page/2

I stumbled across that almost right after I created this post, ha!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events