Who's viewed specific issues in Jira?

Henrik Mikkelsen January 17, 2018

In some projects I would like not only to know who's made changes to an issue but also who has viewed the issue and when.

Are there any audit-logs i can rely on?

Do anyone know a solution for this?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2018

No, and it's complex to implement correctly.

One thing I've looked at in the past is the access logs - it's easy to scan those for <base url>/browse/xxx-nnn, and you could, in theory, do much the same by injecting tracking javascript into the issue view screen.

But that tends to miss a LOT of usage.  The manager who asked me to look at the logs turned out to be not viewing issues at all.  We knew he was seeing them, but he was using boards, dashboards, the issue navigator, IRC and email.  There's other routes too - REST and Confluence macros for example.

So, you're going to struggle to get any form of accurate data out.

Henrik Mikkelsen January 18, 2018

Hey Nic, 

Thank you for a quick answer. Unfortunately not a very promissing one, though.

I think I can handle at least some of the problems with issue navigator and probably some of the others. I can make a company rule that only some fields are allowed in the navigator. And it seems I can check compliance in the database.

Emails are sort of solved. I tampered with the velocity files so it basically emails: somethings happened on your issue - and giving a link.

I've been thinking about the "Recent Issues" - anyone knows which table that is in the database? I might be able to dump the records from this?!

2 votes
Tetiana Khenkina _Enhancera_ February 8, 2020

Henrik, it might be a bit late for you, but our recently released Access Log for Jira add-on is aimed at providing full access log functionality for Jira content and should satisfy your requirements. Please give it a try and let us know what you think.

Adam Mason November 9, 2020

Has this been tested with Service Desk?  Does it successfully track customer view on the Service Desk?

Tetiana Khenkina _Enhancera_ November 10, 2020

Hi Adam,

We tested on Service Desk, but at the moment customer views are not being tracked.

We were planning to expand into customer tracking functionality. Is this a feature you are interested in? Please feel free to provide any extra details to support@enhancera.com.

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2018

Hello,

If you are using Jira Cloud then you could have a look at a plugin called Who is looking for Jira Cloud 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/whoslooking-connect/cloud/overview

I do not know if the plugin fulfils your requirements, but It is not that difficult to write such a plugin for Jira Cloud or Jira Server. You can find the idea behind the plugin here

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/whoslooking-connect/overview?_ga=2.103876416.1509485013.1515994801-1659643416.1506407535

For the Server there is the same idea but different implementation

Henrik Mikkelsen January 18, 2018

Hi Alexey,

Thanks. Real nice plugin :-). And I can see it's use

But if I understand it correctly - it will not help me directly in this problem? If I need eg an audit-log to determine that an user was looking at this issue on a specific date/time.

And I'm on server :-(

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer