Where do I report a Bug to Atlassian?

Morgan Knicely May 16, 2018

Searching suggests this is done by raising a ticket with Atlassian Support. I don't have a paid license so I can't create a ticket there. Where do people with StarterCommunity, Open Source licenses and other customers go to report a Bug?

5 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Morgan Knicely
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2018

To report a Bug, Customers with a commercial support license should raise a support case with Atlassian Support. They will work with you directly to collect the details Development needs and craft a detailed Bug report so it has the best opportunity to be fixed.

Other Customers should ask a question here on the Community site. When the nature of the problem is clear, an Atlassian will either raise a Support request for you or report the Bug at jira.atlassian.com.

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2018

@Morgan Knicely Do bugs reported at support.atlassian.com land in jira.atlassian.com?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2018

Yes, after a bit of triage as Morgan mentions.

David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2019

@Morgan Knicely I was able to post a bug, but I am not able to find the syntax we can use for highlight the text: bold face, source code, etc. I realized that there is no way to edit the information we published, so I would like to be sure about how to use the syntax before sending a comment. Thanks. David

Morgan Knicely
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2019

You'll get a broader range of answers if you raise this as a new question, but each Jira installation hosts a document with details of the wiki format. Here's the one for our public issue tracker, jira.atlassian.com: http://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa

Like # people like this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
December 24, 2019

Howdy Y'all,

I am adding a little elaboration for everyone that sees this post as to why this is the case, as we have had a few questions pop up recently about this thread, and the process we follow for bug creation, that we wanted to make sure to clear up.

Atlassian decided to remove the option to create bug reports directly and funnel the bug creation process through the support teams to provide a better experience to everyone with the main focus being to reduce the number of duplicate bug reports created for the same issues, which was causing a lot of trouble for all.

With the ability of everyone being able to create bug reports using varying formatting, wording, and styles to relay the information, the overall outcome made it difficult for others to locate and identify a preexisting error leading to an increasing number of duplicate reports in turn causing more and more requests to be lost in the noise.

Ultimately, duplicate issue creation would cause confusion to both end users of the application and the developers as to which ones were actively being worked on, which ones are still relevant to current versions of the application, and wether or not a bug had already been fixed on another duplicate bug report that had not been linked as a duplicate in the issue tracker during the triaging process (i.e. it got missed due to volume), and in many cases the behavior could not be replicated without additional environmental variables that come into play such as the browser used or network settings.

We have created this process to go through the support portal as a first step for information gathering to verify reproduction steps and errors, and assist in searching for existing reports for the behavior to prevent duplication, and then create the new Bug reports on your behalf when no preexisting report can be located, following a standardized bug creation template to relay the information on the request for a easy to digest and recognizable data format.

There will always be Bugs in the software and there is no way to avoid that, but we do want to reduce that number as much as we can.  So if you encounter any behavior that you think is a bug please do call it out and contact our support teams to take a closer look a support.atlassian.com, and if you do not have a valid support license, you still have access to the community so please do post the information you find here on the community.atlassian.com to bring additional attention to the issues so that either a Community Leader or Atlassian can jump in to help out.

Regards,
Earl

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2019

@Earl McCutcheon   Thank you.

That's a great explanation that I will be pointing people to a lot.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Mark Hastings May 8, 2020

I'm under support, and I just searched the open suggestions for a particular product (Bitbucket Server), and it dropped me straight into a complex JQL query -- which was a good filter -- but then to actually search through the 1600+ issues I need an intelligent full text search engine (i.e. Google).

It wasn't clear where or how to do that, and I certainly wasn't going to use JQL, so I would suggest this UI discourages me from finding existing issues that I can just upvote, and encourages me to create a duplicate.

My solution was to use the Export menu to dump all issues into a massive 20MB web page and use my browser's search to locate items, and voila I found the suggestion I was going to make very quickly.

Roman Wolf September 17, 2021

HI all,

to me it sounds a bit funny that the company which is providing a solution for Bug reporting and tracking (and filing bug reports) is not able to make this system public in a way that duplicates can be handled in a manageable way :)

We are using JIRA as product in our company also with access for our customers and they can raise issues as many as they want...and yes we are also dealing with the situation that a problem is reported many times. But with JIRA we are able to manage that.

The current situation looks to me like instead of having duplicate tickets in the Atlassian system there are now duplicate entries in the Atlassian community forum. So they are not gone the problem just shifted to another place.

The disadvantage I see raising a question in this forum vs. raising a JIRA ticket directly:

• Community answers are not obligatory. I often stumble across questions that are unanswered (0 responses), while a ticket gives me a number I can track and it will be assigned to a person in charge
  • Community question only allow me to add text, images and links. On a JIRA issue I can attach nearly everything (from test data to screencast) which is much more helpful in reproducing and understanding the issue
  • On an issue I can see all the important metadata like priority, fix version, fix date. On community I am dependent on someone to provide this information in a reasonable time.

And maybe more.

Just rethink your decision, improve your great product and make identifying duplicates just easier :)

Roman

Like Janel V likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2022

@Morgan Knicely @Andy Heinzer  - this process seems to be all about bugs in the software.  What about documentation errors, omissions, navigation issues, and other problems?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 14, 2022

Hi @Rob Horan

Customers should contact Atlassian Support to report on those topics as well.  The support channel you can reach is dependent upon your support option.  For end users, or site-admins of free plans the only support is here in Community.  But you are still welcome to report such problems to Atlassian here in Community.  We would welcome the feedback if you have it.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2022

@Andy Heinzer - thanks - part of the reason I joined the community leadership program was to help people who aren't finding answers through standard channels, especially free users who don't have support access.

3 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

Hi @Morgan Knicely,

report it here in the Community. Atlassian people are here also and we Community Champions can point Atlassian people to your bug report using another channel.  

0 votes
John Perry March 5, 2024

Hi all,

There appears to be a docs bug in the "Meging" section of https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/using-branches/git-merge

A suggested fix would be to add "feature" as the branch name that is missing:

missing_branch_name.jpg

Also,  this branch name needs to be formatted as code font in the "How it works" section at the top of the page:

feature_as_code_font.jpg

HTH

John

0 votes
Rajkumar Devaraj November 17, 2022

Hi,

Facing some inconvenient to edit hours for ticket in Jira tempo time sheet.

Because Logged column value mixed with Log Time button. Also attached screenshot below.

Thanks,

Rajkumar.jirs_issue.PNG

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2022

Hi @Rajkumar Devaraj 

As the problem you encounter is within Tempo, not JIRA, can you please create a ticket for this in our Tempo Support portal, https://tempo-io.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/6

Best regards,
Susanne Götz
Tempo team 

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
0 votes
Bohumír Zámečník May 20, 2020

Both Atlassian Support and  jira.atlassian.com redirected to this site. :/

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
May 21, 2020

Tell me about the bug.  If we can document the steps to reproduce this bug in the product/version, then I will create the bug ticket on your behalf if need be. 

Community is one means in which we provide customer support as well.  There are also other channels, but not everyone has access to these.  Everyone with an account on Atlassian has access to Community.

Joey Kelroy January 19, 2023

I think the point of this is that there is no clear way to report a bug - at least from what I can see and others are bringing up here.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2023

Eh?  As talked about several times in this question, you raise them in jira.atlassian.com (and support.atlassian.com/support will guide you there if you go down that route). 

If you're redirected to community, that means you are not running a supported system, so you can't raise support cases.  In this case, ask the Community and Andy or one of the leaders will take a look and either raise it for you or flag it for Atlassian's attention.

Suggest an answer