When i use @user in comments it shows userid, is this a jira bug or is it something in the settings?

Amin Sharifkhani May 3, 2019

when i mention a user in jira comments i get this [~accountid:5b367a74442d5666d9fc193a] instead of the name of the user. can someone tell me if there is a fix for this? thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2019

Hi Amin,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!
Due to GDPR, usernames are being removed from our products. It was first removed from site administration and now it's being applied to the rest of the instance.
Once you save the comment it will show their full name, but when @mention them, it will show their ID.
You can find more details about these changes in the documentation below:
- Say goodbye to usernames in Atlassian Cloud
- Changes to usernames in Jira Cloud

If you are using the old view on a classic project and the userid is showing after saving the comment, please check the field renderer by going to Project settings > Fields > Screenshot 2019-05-08_15-45-56.png > Comment > Screenshot 2019-05-08_15-46-41.png > Renderers > Wiki Style Renderer > Update.

Regards,
Angélica

Royden Pereira August 16, 2019

"Once you save the comment it will show their full name, but when @mention them, it will show their ID."

What do you mean by this? Sounds a bit ambiguous. I used @ to find and tag the user in a comment and saved it, but only the account id appears instead of the user's name. Please clarify.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2019

Hi Royden,

Sorry if it was not clear. What I meant is that when we type @, search for the name and then select, it will show the ID but when we save the comment, it will show the full name normally and not the ID. This issue only happens when using the old view that uses wiki markup, if we use the new view, once you select the user while typing the comment, it will show the full name.

Regards,
Angélica

Like # people like this
Rik Chuang August 21, 2019

@Angélica Luz Is there a reason why this is happening? And is there any plan to plan this for the old view?

Royden Pereira August 22, 2019

@Angélica Luz No worries Angelica. Thanks for the solution.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 26, 2019

Hi @Rik Chuang ,

Previously, before the changes related to GDPR, on the old view when we selected a user it showed [~angelica], for example, and after the changes and since the usernames were deprecated, it now shows the full name and ID.
Currently, this is not affecting anything because we can still search for the user typing their name and after saving the comment, it will show their name correctly.

Regards,
Angélica

Like Tiago Cardoso likes this
Steve Larsen August 28, 2019

Angelica your answer isn't clear to me. We are using old view due to lack of parity between old and new view, so we have to use old view.

When we reference someone via @username in a comment what we are seeing now is [~accountid:xxxxxx:xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxxxxxxxx] The full name is not visible. 

We need to be able to reference people and be able to see those references for future follow up. Can you please elaborate what you are doing differently that causes the full name to appear?

Like Clyde Maclean likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 30, 2019

Hi Steve,

I'm just mentioning a user. Maybe my test environment was not updated yet, but while I mention it shows the full name next to the accountid:

Screen Recording 2019-08-30 at 01.16 PM.gif

Regards,
Angélica

Like Tiago Cardoso likes this
Valerie Padilla August 30, 2019

I have a ticket out but since this is being discussed I wanted to ask here.  Since the change to the new view, more often than not notification emails on the mentions within a comment are showing account ids and not the name.  It is helpful to have the name within the email... is there a way to change that?

Like # people like this
Tom Anderson September 5, 2019

@Angélica Luz I have been seeing the same issue as @Valerie Padilla when I receive email notifications. Is there a setting that can be changed to allow the email notification to show the name of the person rather than the account id? 

Thanks so much for the support!

Valerie Padilla September 5, 2019

@Tom They did create a bug ticket for this issue.  Here is the ticket # for reference... https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72839 .  I would request for updates on it and also was advised to comment on the impact you have for the team.

Tom Anderson September 5, 2019

thank you!

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2019

@Angélica Luz thanks for the explanation.

I'd like to note that the userId showing up in edit mode has some impact on our visually impaired users. Glad to see that it's fixed in the new issue view.

The user picker popup also could use an extra accessibility review.

Like Dana Gould likes this
0 votes
Mann November 6, 2019

Yes I am facing the same problem I am ready to user the new view but there are some actions like closing of a task which is not implemented in new view.

So now I am confused as to what should i do because mentioning the people using the @ was really helpful and now whole id just hides the name somewhere.

Suggest an answer