When filtering Epics, issues not showing

Louis Royster June 9, 2021

I am setting up some new projects and what I have done in the past is use the filter to feed all those projects into one "Main" board. This helps me keep track of that team as whole instead of having to switch to 3 or 4 different projects. 

For all the projects we use Epics but for the main board I want to filter them out. 

project in ("Project 1", "Project 2") AND issuetype != Epic ORDER BY Rank ASC

The problem with this is that it also filters all the stories that are tied to that Epic. 

Does anyone know how to filter the Epics but keep the stories tied to that Epic?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2021

Hi @Louis Royster  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Have you tried to invert your query, looking only for the issue types you want?  For example:

project IN ("Project 1", "Project 2") AND issuetype IN (Story, Task, Bug) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Best regards,

Bill

Louis Royster June 9, 2021

Hey Bill thanks for the response! That does not work and does that same thing. What is weird is that when I run the filter it returns all the stories and none of the epics, but when I go to the backlog for that project I don't see any Epics or Stories tied to Epics. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2021

Hi, Louis.  That is interesting...Let's try to break down what you are seeing into pieces...

1. Where is your shared board stored: in a stand-alone project, in one of the source projects (e.g. "Project 1", "Project 2", etc.), or in your profile?
  2. The backlog for a project should show everything for that project...except when you have enabled things like Epic Panel.  In that case, the epics show in the panel.  Do you have the panel enabled?
  3. When you compare the source projects (E.g. "Project 1", "Project 2", etc.) how do their workflows compare?  Are they the same for each respective issue type?
  4. Again for the source projects, how do their status values and mapping compare?  Are they the same or different by project?  If different, have you looked at the shared board's status mapping to columns to see if there are any unmapped status values?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Louis Royster June 10, 2021

Hey @Bill Sheboy 

1. The boards are both stand-alone projects. Each product only has one board and the Main board belongs to the Main Project. 

2. Epic Panel is not enabled. 

3. Workflows and statuses are the same for each project/board. 

4. Everything is mapped the same, same columns, same statuses, same workflow. 

Two details to add. I have done this in the past with different teams and never have had this issue. I was also using an older version of Jira. 

Second, my main project is a company managed project and the other projects are team managed - not sure if this would matter. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2021

Ah, that part about company-managed and team-managed projects may explain things.  Please take a look at this article to see if it helps create the board:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Multiple-boards-in-Business-and-Team-Managed-Projects-You-bet/ba-p/1719761

Yeah seems weird the Epics would show up but not the Stories. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2021

I just tried your use case, and it worked for me, including both Company-Managed and Team-Managed on one board:

• Create a simple filter spanning the projects: project in (ProjA, ProjB) ORDER BY Rank
  • Save the filter, updating the permissions for your desired visibility/access
  • Navigate to view all boards: yourURL//jira/boards
  • Select Create board
  • Select Kanban
  • Select Board from Existing Saved Filter
  • Name your board, select your filter, and choose to store it in a Company Managed project
  • On the new board, select options and add quick filters for showing only epics (issueType = epic) or not (issueType != epic)

What do you think?

Louis Royster June 11, 2021

@Bill Sheboy  I really appreciate you taking time to try and solve this for me, I actually have already done that. That quick filter and any filter I created work fine for the epics on that board but it still does not work on the board feeding into that board. 

So my Company Project pulls all the stories from another project I have that is a Team Project. On both the Company Project and the Team Project I have Stories that are tied to Epics. 

So on the Company Board (Main Board) I created some filters to not show the epics and only show the stories (tired this both with quick filters and board filters). It filters the epics that were created on the Company Board and just shows the stories, but it also filters out all epics and stories tied to those epics from the Team Board. 

On top of that, any story that is tied to an epic from the team board cannot be pulled onto the sprint, I have to pull the whole epic. 

I'm getting to the point where I am just not going to use the team boards at all. I have been using Jira for 7 years and have done this successfully many times in the past, with epics and stories. Its frustrating. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2021

I empathize with your frustration on the interaction of company-managed projects (CMP) and team-managed projects (TMP).  There's a suggestion in-progress to add multiple board support to TMP: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17371

Perhaps what you see is from differences in how TMP link epics to their child issues: CMP use epic link to connect, and TMP use parent.

At this point, my recommendation is to submit a defect to Atlassian support to see if they see something of note in your instance.  You should be able to do that as site admin: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

If you learn anything from them, please post back here to help the whole community.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events