When Exporting custom fields in csv it is adding a 0 at the end

James M March 8, 2021

I am noticing when I export my tickets as a csv.  There is 1 text field that is being converted in excel to the exponent value.  

Actual value:  0620210114218908

CSV Converted value: 6.2021E+15

After formatting field value into a numeric or custom field with 15 zeros - 000000000000000: 6202101142189080

I am noticing that it's adding a 0 at the end of the value which is odd.   I understand that preceding 0s are typically truncated or removed but never seen why it would add a 0 at the end of the value.

3 answers

0 votes
James M March 11, 2021

Thanks, Jack!  Yes, I validated the export using xml to validate the data values and it looked correct (data matches what was captured within the form). 

Work Around

Change Windows default application for .csv files from Excel to Notepad. 

Exported the file using the csv option in JIRA 

Saved the file as a text file. 

Opened Excel and used the data from external source wizzard, using the comma delimited value

Change the custom field that was truncating my numeric values from General to Text.  

Not the most elegant solution but it did the trick.  

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Question are you using Excel to view the file? This sounds like an excel conversion issue. Can you inspect the file with say a text editor?

0 votes
James M March 8, 2021

Question is 1) Why is it adding the additional 0 at the end?  Is there a way to fix this within JIRA Service Desk? 

Suggest an answer