What's best for application monitoring?

Helen Griffiths September 20, 2017

Hi Atlassian Community! :)

I have been looking at Applications which will monitor our Atlassian applications, but have become a bit stuck with the range that is available.

We currently use Java Melody, but if possible, i'd like something that presents the required information in a more UI user friendly format. 

Is there anything you use that you'd recommend?

Many thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2017

Hi Helen,

Atlassian themselves use NewRelic for application monitoring. I used it for two years (monitoring JIRA and Confluence) and liked the tool and interface.

I tried using AppDynamics recently but it totally did not work against multiple JIRA instances. AppDynamics support was unable to fix the problems we were seeing. I looked at other options including DataDog, but it looks like AppD and NewRelic are the only two major players with JVM monitoring. If you can afford it, NewRelic is great!

Cheers,
Daniel

P.S. If you feel like this answer helped, please hit the checkmark to the left to mark it as answered. This helps us focus our efforts on unsolved questions. Thanks!

Helen Griffiths September 20, 2017

Hi @Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_

Thank you for coming back to me. I'll definitely take a look at your recommendations.

Marcin May 25, 2018

Hi @Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_, did you also try https://www.splunk.com/en_us/it-operations/application-analytics-and-monitoring.html ? Or maybe somebody will be willing to share experience out of splunk based monitoring?

0 votes
Egle Kaziulionyte October 19, 2018

would like to bring this topic to top again. 

I have had experience with Appdynamics for multiple Atlassian products, and it was great experience.

In my current organization we don't have plans to onboard AppD, so maybe some other good experience particularly for application ("transactional monitoring") monitoring?

Suggest an answer