What is the difference between the 'Story Points' and 'Story point estimate' fields?

Mike Heyns September 30, 2018

In Field Configuration I noticed both:

1. Story Points
  2. Story point estimate

Screenshot from 2018-10-01 18-44-12.png

In our Board Settings we use Story Points for estimation:

Screenshot from 2018-10-01 18-44-45.png

But the new issue view shows the other field. Confused, I enabled both in the Screen Configuration.

Screenshot from 2018-10-01 18-43-56.png

The old view shows both as:

Screenshot from 2018-10-01 18-43-45.png

The new view shows them as:

Screenshot from 2018-10-01 18-42-55.png

Q: What is the difference between them? Why the additional (locked) field?

5 answers

2 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

9 votes
Answer accepted
larry.lowe October 5, 2018

@Mike Heyns 

I was also concerned about this field, and reached out to Atlassian directly. Here's what i was told:

The field "Story Point Estimate" is a JIra default field. This field belongs to the project template "Next-Gen" (also known as Agility). The main difference between this field and the field "Story points" is that the "Story points" field (a field which belongs to the "classic" projects) allows you to edit its context, while "Story Point Estimate" is locked.

If you want to learn more about "Next-gen" projects, we recommend you to read the documentation linked below:

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2018

Having two similar fields will just create lot of confusion for admins and for users as well, especially while entering JQL queries as both fields will appear in the drop-down.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Denman October 19, 2018

It was added by this
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/estimation-959303560.html

But I have no idea what the point or difference is - whats the difference between "Story Points" and "Story Point Estimate"? - they are both estimates

Steve Revill March 8, 2019

We couldn't tell the difference either, so we arbitrarily chose "Story point estimate", given we were doing estimation. It now seems this doesn't appear in the burndown/up charts, which rather defeats the point...

Like # people like this
0 votes
Alex Lewis October 3, 2018

Hi,

Did/Do you by any chance have Jira Portfolio installed?

I see the same field and that field was not added manually by an Admin (I'm one of them). 

Cheers

Mike Heyns October 3, 2018

Hi @Alex Lewis

We do not have Jira Portfolio added

Alex Lewis October 3, 2018

Ah well, just a long shot :)

larry.lowe October 4, 2018

I see that field, and I recently installed Portfolio. I suspect that it came from there, but it could also be from any other add-on.

Nevermind. I checked another instance that has never had Portfolio installed. The field still exists.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2018

It's hard to say what the difference is, because we don't know what your administrators were asked to set up or why.

I would ask your admins what the intention behind this was.  Generally, you don't want to have two separate estimates for story points (or any other form of estimation), so your users have done something odd here for a reason we don't know.

Michael Heyns
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 1, 2018

Hi Nic

I'm the admin in this case. No modifications where made with regards to Story Points.

From what I recall, 'Story point estimate' didn't use to exist.

Also, I didn't know field labels were configurable depending on view (see old vs new above)

Like Deleted user likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2018

Sorry, I was not explicit enough there, and you've missed the point.

>'Story point estimate' didn't use to exist.

One of your administrators has added that field. 

You need to ask them why, because it's probably of no use as it's unlikely to do what they intended.

It's not native to Jira and it's not something created by an App that I know of (and an admin would have had to install an App even if it was done that way).

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2018

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

I also noticed the "Story points estimate" field in a test cloud Jira instance which I have access to, it's a locked field and thus can't be added by an outside Jira administrator. Also in the first screenshot shared by @Michael Heyns it's displayed as an locked field.

Like # people like this

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I've also noticed that this field just randomly started showing up in my Cloud instances. It is locked, as already mentioned by @Tarun Sapra. It was not created by a local admin, and nobody can delete it. Hopefully someone can figure out where it came from.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2018
Michael Heyns
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 1, 2018

Hi @Mohamed Benziane

I came across that answer earlier and it appears to be about time estimate not "Story point estimate".

Thank you for referencing it.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question