It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What is the difference between JIRA Align and JIRA Portfolio?

We are just deciding as a company to take on JIRA Portfolio to add to our existing compliment of tools.  however i have just seen JIRA Align .... not wanting to make a mistake when acquiring tooling... what are the differences?  and is Portfolio being 'sunsetted' - cheers 

4 answers

3 accepted

Short answer: Jira Portfolio is focus on small number of team (less than 20 - maybe) while the newly announced Jira Align (after Atlassian acquired AgileCraft) is more on connecting from top level strategy to a bigger amount of teams.

You should contact Atlassian to make sure you get the right product for your company and should use as a trial before you make a decision.

Cheers!

Don’t think this is a complete response and more explanation is needed

The highest level marketing blurb on Portfolio states it’s for multiple teams

@Julian Cook You're right, of course it's not a complete answer for the different between 2 products, but it's one thing we can point out.

Also a good feedback from you, Portfolio is for also for multiple teams. I updated my answer. Thank you!

I just attended the Atlassian conference last week, looked into this topic and here's my take on it.

1) Atlassian was throwing out the number of 500 users as a benchmark.   If you are under this, it may be more likely that Portfolio will work for you, if you are above this mark, Jira Align might be better.   They acknowledged this is not a hard and fast rule, but more of a way to gauge at a high level where you might land.

2) portfolio has a much smaller feature set.   

- You can forecast schedules based on velocity and estimated work and a few other factors like dependencies and any hard dates you might have on your efforts.

- you can do "what if" scenarios to calculate what happens to your schedule (e.g. Add another team member, reprioritize your work.   You can see what your schedule looks like before committing the change.

Aaaand . . . that's about all portfolio does.  It has some reports and stuff, but this is the main functionality.

Jira Align does a ton more (and is a ton more expensive.)

e.g.

- Dependency visualizations

- more and better reports for everything

- "rooms" to collaborate at different levels of a program

more at https://agilecraft.com

Like # people like this
Sam Roberts Atlassian Team May 21, 2019

@Allan Flatoff I'd agree with point 1. However there's more to Portfolio than just the forecast scheduling and scenario planning. These include things like:

• Planning across multiple Jira teams and projects in one place
  • Setting up unlimited issue hierarchy in Jira (e.g. above the "epic" level)
  • Visualising your roadmap 
  • Powerful filtering and bulk actions to help you deal with lots of issues at once.
  • Tracking dependencies across teams (we don't support "string" type dependency visualisations at the moment though)
  • Planning capacity for your teams 
  • Getting realtime information that is always in sync with Jira. (E.g. exporting to excel or powerpoint can become outdated quite quickly)

We're working hard to make Portfolio a planning tool that is both powerful and simple to use. If you're willing, I'd love to set up some time to chat about how we can improve, and the biggest gaps you feel the tool has. 

Like # people like this

Hi Sam, I am currently in my trial period for Potfolio, and am disappointed to see I cannot assign skills to tasks and have Portfolio take this into consideration when planning the roadmap. Am I doing somethnig wrong?

We were interested in this feature as well. However, as far as I understand, this functionality has been removed: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/future-releases-and-limitations-953663163.html

Jira Align is only for enterprise with 1K+ team whereas Jira portfolio is for small and mid-size companies with 4-20 teams.

Excellent - exactly what i was looking for ... we are 12 teams with room for 15 so Portfolio is perfect! thanks

Edit: I linked to something that wasn't quite ready to be shared yet, my mistake!

Not showing up for me. Any special permissions needed to see this? Thanks

Sam Roberts Atlassian Team Apr 19, 2019

@David Sokolowski  that was a mistake on my end. I didn't double check the link before posting it. 

I'll make sure the right people see this thread however. 

@Sam Roberts Thanks for checking in. Is there an official FAQ for Jira Align? Google links to that same forbidden page.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

347 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you