What is the cost of adding Jira Service Desk to my existing account

Tom Horton January 7, 2020

My company currently has 20 users for Jira Software and Jira Confluence. We would like to start using Jira Service Desk but I'm confused about what the cost will be. We only have two support agents and it looks like that would be $10/month. Is that correct? Or will the number of users for Software and Confluence be applied to Service Desk which would be $20/user(agent)/month or an additional $400/month? Ouch!

Thanks,

Tom 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

This looks complicated from the outside, as it is not intuitive.  The most simple way to think of it is that there are four systems, although it is technically inaccurate.

• Jira Platform:  Free.  If you want to run any form of Jira, you need this, but you won't pay for it.  Gives us things like users, UI, external interfaces, the ability to use applications and apps, etc
  • Jira Core:  Lots of functions like projects, workflows, fields, screens, etc
  • Jira Software:  Lots of  agile functions like boards, sprints, scrum, kanban, etc
  • Jira Service Desk:  Lots of Helpdesk/ITSM functions like queues, customers, portals, SLAs, etc

Note that the platform is free.  Consider the other three as applications that run on it.  You only pay for the people who use each application individually.  (Although, it gets a bit messy when people are using more than one).  Also, users are not done individually, it is by tier (10, 25, 50 etc, but a different range for Service Desk)

So, you can do things like

1000 Core users, 25 Software and 3 agents.

Your 20 Software users are fine, then you add 2 agents separately.  You don't need the $400/month.

0 votes
Tom Horton January 8, 2020

So that would mean the pricing of Service Desk is separate from Software? So if I add Service Desk, in which I only need 2 agents, it's only an additional $10/month?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2020

Exactly.  It won't affect your licence tier for Software, that remains 20 people.

(It gets complex when people have more than one role - if, for example, you have a service desk agent who is also a developer and wanting to use Software boards in Software project - that person will "consume" two licences - one Agent and one Software-developer)

Suggest an answer