What is a project

henry_mclaughlin June 18, 2022

New to Jira.

Is a project all-encompassing or is a project just part of the overall task? i.e. should I have projects for: database & frontend or simply one project for all?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2022

@henry_mclaughlin A project is a project in Jira.  A project in Jira is made up of issues.  Issues can be tasks, sub-tasks, bugs, new features, or whatever else you define them as.  How you construct your project depends on your processes and how your teams work.  It might make sense to have them in the same project or to separate them into two projects.  My guess is by the way you are explaining it you should have them in a single project.    

Here is some great information about agile projects https://www.atlassian.com/agile

henry_mclaughlin June 18, 2022

Thanks Brant. I'll start with a single project then. Was concerned having EVERYTHING on the one project would make it cumbersome.

Watching tutorials all day.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2022

You can use components to organize and filter issues based on specific work areas.  You can use boards to organize work.  You can use dashboards to report on work.  Lots of flexibility in Jira to help organize project work.  

Like henry_mclaughlin likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events