Way to arrange custom fields as an array

Reto Baumann November 28, 2011

Hi all

We have an issue type in our JIRA installation for which we need to collect efforts and reasons for a number of components - for each in the area of design, build and test. We end up with something such as:

Component / Design / Build / Test
Comp1 / 2PD / 4PD / 3PD
Comp2 / 3PD / 3PD / 3PD
Comp3 / 2PD / 3PD / 2PD

All the person days (PD) need to be filled in. Is there a way in JIRA to present this form in a way as indicated above? Or will JIRA always show this as a long list / lines of entry fields?

Thanks for the help
reto

1 answer

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2011

This would be a hack, but it might work for you. You will be using css to reorganize your long list of fields into multiple lines. I did this for checkboxes and radiio buttons. It is a hack since I will need to reapply my changes when Jira gets upgraded. If you do not know html/css then find someone that does and have them make the changes. Also do this on a test system first since Jira needs to be stopped and restarted in the methodology that I used.

1) Determine the html tags, ids or classes you need to extend by looking at the html source page or using a html/css inspector tool.

2) Search through all the css files to see if you can find those tags, ids or classes being used. This will help determine which set of *.css files to modify.

2) Use the css float: left comand to cause your html objects to align left

3) Use the css 'clear: left' to cause your next html object to appear on the next line.

In 4.4.3 there are two files <basename>.css and <basename>_min.css. I updated both files since I did not figure out how the <basename>_min.css got generated in the timeframe I had to do the change in.

You will need to stop/start Jira to get the changed *.css files to be picked up and used. You might need to clear your local browser cache as well since somehow the css files are combined into a single css file.

You might need to set some widths as well to get your html objects to align into columns.

Suggest an answer