Watch your issues and inherit from global

e.kurganov December 25, 2020

I am having exactly the same issue. In my JIRA personal settings in Watch your issues it is already set to Enabled for all issue that I interact with. However, I am not added to watchers' list to any of my issues automatically.  šŸ˜­

Can you, please, fix this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AngƩlica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2020

Hello @e.kurganov,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When the option "Watch your issues" is enabled, you will be added as a watcher of the tickets you interact with.

In this case, if you add a comment to an issue, you will be added as a watcher. None of the other actions will do this automatically, only adding comments will add you as a watcher automatically.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
AngƩlica

e.kurganov December 28, 2020

Hello AngĆ©lica,

What if I was assigned to an issue, changed description of an issue, or pushed commits to an issue? In old JIRA versions I used to become a watcher of issues in all of the cases above, however, not now.

Does it mean that it does not work anymore in such ways? Only commenting to an issue makes me a watcher and there is no other way, is it really so now? šŸ˜Ÿ

AngƩlica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2020

Hi @e.kurganov,

The auto watch option is only applied when you create an issue or add a comment. 

I talked to my teammates to check if they remember if before it was different, but it was always like this for Cloud and Server. Testing on my local site, I changed many things on a ticket, transitioned to different statuses, changed the description, assigned to me, but nothing added me as a watcher, only after I added a comment that it happened.

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates.

For now, when you update a ticket without adding a comment, remember to press W, so you will be added as a watcher.

Like ā€¢ e.kurganov likes this
e.kurganov December 29, 2020

Hello @AngĆ©lica Luz,

I see, thanks for such a thorough response! I just did vote, so I hope that this feature will be implemented in the nearest future! šŸ™‚

Is there any way to mimic this "Autowatch" feature at the current moment though? 

AngƩlica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 30, 2020

You can use an automation rule to update the watcher's field when an issue is updated.

As a project administrator, go to Project settings > Automation to create a rule like the one below:

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 10.58.33.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 10.58.48.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 10.59.04.png

Hope this helps!

Like ā€¢ e.kurganov likes this
e.kurganov December 30, 2020

Thank you very much, @AngĆ©lica Luz ! We will try to do that, and I will let you know once we do. šŸ™‚šŸ‘ŒšŸ»

Like ā€¢ AngĆ©lica Luz likes this
e.kurganov January 29, 2021

Hello @AngĆ©lica Luz 

Thanks again for your help! We did follow your advice and set up an automation rule, and it seems to be working like a charm so far! šŸ˜€šŸ„³

Like ā€¢ AngĆ©lica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer