Visualize blocked issues

I use issue linking to handle dependancies between issues and would like to visulize if an issue is blocked in the backlog and kanban. Is this possible?

It does't really matter how I just would like to see and mabye (this is a bonus) filter out blocked issues.

I have searched but can not find any good solutions to this issue. I took a quick look at the ScriptRunner add on, but it felt overly complicated to solve something like this, I would expect this to be part of the standard product... 

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Andreas,

I understand you are looking to find a way to visualize blocked issues in your JIRA instance.  

Unfortunately, the native functions in JIRA's Advanced Search functions do not presently have a way to do this.  That link explains there is a linkedissues() function, but that it requires an issuekey to return any results.   There is not presently a way to show all the issues that have a link of type block natively in JIRA.

As you noted, if you were using the scriptrunner plugin with JIRA, then you could create a JQL filter such as

issueFunction in hasLinks("blocks")

Which you could then use to create a quick filter on an existing board to quickly show that information.  This is documented in Scriptrunner Scripted Functions

Sorry there is not a better native solution in JIRA at this time.  However there is a existing feature request in JIRA to add this kind of functionality natively, I would recommend watching and voting on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-25640

Ok, thanks for the clarification, I will vote on the issue

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

105 views 1 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you