Very frustrated new user

Justin Kelly February 18, 2018

JIRA support,

No matter what I have done I am having trouble with my self-hosted installation.  I have re-installed JIRA and MySQL multiple times.  My first post about my issues was marked SPAM for some reason which is unacceptable.  I am looking for real customer support.

I have had a positive experience with JIRA before.  But the software keeps giving me HTTP 500 errors when I click on Issues or View All Boards.  After my latest re-install I get a 500 error when I select the project I created.

If this cannot be resolved I am going to abandon Atlassian JIRA and I will not carry with my a positive message to anyone that asks me about it going forward.  I appreciate the <10 user $10 a year license but if it doesn't work, it has no worth and shouldn't even be available.

This issue has taken hours from my schedule of continuing to get anything truly productive done.  I've re-installed MySQL and Jira multiple times.

Versions, as recommended by your own site....Jira 7.7.1, MySQL Server 5.7, mysql-connector-java-5.1.45-bin.jar

The JIRA software seems to have issues with HTTP 500 in multiple cases from the local machine, not even trying to access it from another machine.  Why??!??!?!

Please help,

Justin Kelly

5 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Kelly February 19, 2018

The following resolved my issue, hopefully this will help anyone that experiences the project creation errors and the "table already exists" errors I saw.

As odd as it sounds, it related to HipChat integration settings when I don't have or need Hipchat.

I started here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Crashes-at-creating-a-project/qaq-p/651662

and followed what it says here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-disable-hipchat-integration-pop-up-dialog-794500518.html

I searched for anything "hipchat" while on the system "manage add-ons" page and disabled all of them.

Once I did this, I was able to create a new Jira project with no errors that occur or when I click on anything or select any options within the Jira application.  It finally works!

Just a guess...the initial project creation error related to hipchat somehow left things in a half-baked state.  No idea, but it works now.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2018

Hey Justin,

Glad your issue is resolved. Couple of things for handling issues like this in future:

1. This is an Atlassian User forum where people like Nic, who is very experienced in JIRA Administration and Customizations, and newbies who just started on JIRA hang out. It is not a support forum but a place where people from different timezones pitch in to help each other. You might find some Atlassians weighing in here but that is not the norm.
  2. If you have a support issue and if you do not get any satisfactory help here, you might want to raise it directly with Atlassian via their support channel (support.atlassian.com). If you find a bug in JIRA/other Atlassian products or have a feature requests for them, raise them at jira.atlassian.com.

Hopefully you are all set now but I am sure you will have more questions as you start using the product. And I am sure you will find lot of help here or via one of the aforementioned JIRA instances. Have a good time!

Justin Kelly February 20, 2018

Thank you Jobin for the information.  I appreciate the help.  I will be more aware next time about my options.

ms August 20, 2018

Jobin response to Justin wrt "raise it directly with Atlassian via their support channel (support.atlassian.com)" would normally be fine only if they would respond. Sharon Tan appears to be the only person associated with presales@atlassian.com and as hard as that is to believe, perhaps that's why still no response after 4 days! Has anyone else experienced such slow response from Atlassian hence why apparently they refer everyone so strongly to the "community?" All I'd like to do is have the Atlassian instructions for adding Jira Software to my AWS instance of Jira Data Center work?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2018

That was answered in your other thread already.

ms August 20, 2018

Yeah Nic - that did not work - that's the whole point - but I think I'm close to getting it figured out on my own, thx.  But it remains curious why its been 4 days and no reply from Atlassian pre-sales. Take care.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2018

I'm not sure "use manage applications to add it" is so hard.

ms August 20, 2018

Because it wants to add to local machine, not the AWS server ID indicated

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2018

"Manage applications" in Jira can only add to the server you are running it on, it can't touch your local machine because it's only got access to the Jira it is running as part of.

ms August 20, 2018

Thx Nic - let's hope, funny it wants to default to C/Program Files since its running on Linux.

ms August 20, 2018

It did not like the defaults. Complains about 8080 port conflict, probably because of the currently running Jira Data Center from whence I started the upgrade.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2018

It sounds like you're doing half an install, not using "manage applications".  An install will not work, you've already got it installed.  Go to manage applications and add software there.

ms August 20, 2018

Nic - sorry to be so thick, but from my Jira Service Desk running on AWS, I don't seem to see "Manage Applications?"  I am on a page called "Administration > Applications > Versions & licenses > Manage Licenses." Here I can see I have a license key shown that can be downloaded. When the download completes it prompts me to run the install and then complains about the Port 8080 resource conflict. Bottom line I guess is I do not see anything called "Manage Applications." Is what your calling "Manage Applications" somewhere in the Atlassian Jira Service Desk, or perhaps it is equivalent to "Administration >" which is where the instructions provided me indicate I should start?

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2018

Http 500 is a simple web error meaning the server hasn't responded correctly.

We'll need to read the application log to see what the server side error problem is.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2018
0 votes

Well I am still seeing the errors even though my Jira MySql user has a grant for REFERENCES. 

Specifically, I can view the dashboard and some other areas but when I do anything with Issues, I get an error (shown as HTTP 500 on the surface).  And, when I click on "View All Boards" I still get a spinner icon that seems to hang.

The SHOW GRANTS results for the Jira user (jirauser) shown at the end of this post, followed by an error/stack trace from the Jira stdout log in the C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\logs folder.

Versions I am using:

- Windows:  v10 Pro 64-bit, latest build

- MySQL: community-5.7.21.0

- JDBC driver in Jira lib folder: mysql-connector-java-5.1.45-bin.jar

- Jira Version: 7.7.1

GRANTS

mysql> show grants for 'jirauser'@'%';
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for jirauser@% |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, FILE, REFERENCES, INDEX, ALTER, SHOW DATABASES, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES, CREATE VIEW, SHOW VIEW, CREATE ROUTINE, ALTER ROUTINE, EVENT, TRIGGER ON *.* TO 'jirauser'@'%' WITH GRANT OPTION |
| GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, REFERENCES, INDEX, ALTER ON `mysql`.* TO 'jirauser'@'%'

ERROR INFO

Caused by: com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.ActiveObjectsSqlException: There was a SQL exception thrown by the Active Objects library:
Database:
- name:MySQL
- version:5.7.21
- minor version:7
- major version:5
- name:MySQL Connector Java
- version:mysql-connector-java-5.1.45 ( Revision: 9131eefa398531c7dc98776e8a3fe839e544c5b2 )

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'ao_e8b6cc_issue_mapping' already exists
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.EntityManagedActiveObjects.migrate(EntityManagedActiveObjects.java:53)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.dvcs.activeobjects.PropertyMigrator.upgrade(PropertyMigrator.java:40)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.ActiveObjectUpgradeManagerImpl$1.doInTransaction(ActiveObjectUpgradeManagerImpl.java:68)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.ActiveObjectUpgradeManagerImpl$1.doInTransaction(ActiveObjectUpgradeManagerImpl.java:64)
at com.atlassian.sal.core.transaction.HostContextTransactionTemplate$1.doInTransaction(HostContextTransactionTemplate.java:21)
at com.atlassian.jira.DefaultHostContextAccessor.doInTransaction(DefaultHostContextAccessor.java:34)
... 2 filtered
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy36.doInTransaction(Unknown Source)
... 2 filtered
at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.bridge.external.HostComponentFactoryBean$DynamicServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(HostComponentFactoryBean.java:136)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy36.doInTransaction(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.sal.core.transaction.HostContextTransactionTemplate.execute(HostContextTransactionTemplate.java:18)
... 2 filtered
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:302)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:56)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:60)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:133)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:121)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invokeUnprivileged(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:70)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:53)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:57)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:133)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:121)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:208)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy3467.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.SalTransactionManager.inTransaction(SalTransactionManager.java:42)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.AbstractLoggingTransactionManager.doInTransaction(AbstractLoggingTransactionManager.java:16)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.EntityManagedActiveObjects.executeInTransaction(EntityManagedActiveObjects.java:204)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.ActiveObjectUpgradeManagerImpl.upgrade(ActiveObjectUpgradeManagerImpl.java:64)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.ActiveObjectUpgradeManagerImpl.upgrade(ActiveObjectUpgradeManagerImpl.java:36)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.AbstractActiveObjectsFactory.upgrade(AbstractActiveObjectsFactory.java:87)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.AbstractActiveObjectsFactory.create(AbstractActiveObjectsFactory.java:67)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.DelegatingActiveObjectsFactory.create(DelegatingActiveObjectsFactory.java:32)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.osgi.TenantAwareActiveObjects$1$1$1.call(TenantAwareActiveObjects.java:91)
... 6 more
Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'ao_e8b6cc_issue_mapping' already exists
at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor54.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:425)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.getInstance(Util.java:408)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3973)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3909)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:2527)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:2680)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.execSQL(ConnectionImpl.java:2480)
at com.mysql.jdbc.StatementImpl.executeUpdateInternal(StatementImpl.java:1552)
at com.mysql.jdbc.StatementImpl.executeLargeUpdate(StatementImpl.java:2607)
at com.mysql.jdbc.StatementImpl.executeUpdate(StatementImpl.java:1480)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingStatement.java:234)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingStatement.java:234)
at net.java.ao.DatabaseProvider.executeUpdate(DatabaseProvider.java:2246)
at net.java.ao.DatabaseProvider.executeUpdateForAction(DatabaseProvider.java:2302)
at net.java.ao.DatabaseProvider.executeUpdatesForActions(DatabaseProvider.java:2274)
at net.java.ao.schema.SchemaGenerator.migrate(SchemaGenerator.java:91)
at net.java.ao.EntityManager.migrate(EntityManager.java:128)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.EntityManagedActiveObjects.migrate(EntityManagedActiveObjects.java:51)
... 51 more

@Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist] or @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- do you think this is a JDBC driver version issue?  Why would the Issues table already exist -- I had completely re-installed both MySQL and Jira.  Should I fall back to an earlier version of any of the software (Jira, MySQL or JDBC driver)?  Are the versions I am using known to be compatible?

Thanks for any help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2018

No, I don't think it's the driver.  I think there's a wider picture we are missing.

You are talking about errors on the front-end a lot, but I'm not 100% clear on when they happen.  You say you've tried re-installing several times, but not exactly what you cleared out.

When you re-install, did you start "clean"?

• Deleted the whole of  /opt/atlassian/jira   (assuming that's where you installed it)
  • Deleted /etc/init.d/jira*
  • Dropped the Jira database on the MySQL server

When you ran the new install, does this ask you for a new database (which you create manually, but totally empty) and an empty directory to use for "home"?

Your responses haven't been very helpful and have been more along the lines of insulting (I know what a 500 error is and my latest long post included a detailed log from your product -- hardly "front-end" and yet you didn't even mention the log I sent).  So that being said,

First of all, this isn't a Linux install (I had mentioned it is on Windows), so no it wasn't in folders with names like opt/.... etc/...anything like that.

Secondly, the errors and behaviors exhibited in Jira have not differed *at all* since my first "pristine" installation, so it would seem to follow that any uninstalls I've done have not been the cause of the same exact error pattern I first described.  By that I mean I get an error when I click something like "Search for Issues", and got that same error after the very first install, hence why I contacted support and what I described earlier already.

Thirdly, I provided a long explanatory stack trace since you had commented on the HTTP 500 errors being the server error at the web page and how you would need more detail.  If you looked in the stack trace it says "Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'ao_e8b6cc_issue_mapping' already exists".

Fourthly, to your questions....for the Jira and MySQL uninstalls I chose the normal uninstall options from the "Windows Programs And Features" dialog and watched it perform the uninstall to completion.

I then deleted the MySQL folders:

- C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL

- C:\ProgramData\MySQL

(Regarding MySql file locations, see https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/windows-installation-layout.html).  I don't think I would need to drop any tables with this full and complete uninstall/deletion process but, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I then deleted the Atlassian folder at C:\Program Files\Atlassian.

...after all those steps I started the fresh re-install of MySql, then proceeded to install Jira server again, only to end up getting the same error behaviors I got with my very first install.  I can log in, view my dashboard but can't access items or boards.

My installation is so straight-up "by the book" I would think there would be some information on what is going on, and what went on after my first install because they are the same thing.  I never even had MySql on my system before needing it for my new Jira installation, and I've followed all of the directions for the installs.

I am still needing real help on this but I found

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-throws-table-already-exist-error-due-to-incorrect-mysql-schema-338364885.html

...and will look into that in the meantime.

I found my dbconfig.xml file as that article suggested (although on Windows in this case).  No <schema-name /> tag so, dead-end on that.

And by the way, the only reason I asked about it possibly being a JDBC compatibility issue is because it appears that the exceptions thrown are of type MySQLSyntaxErrorException.  Syntax errors?  And even after Jira starting up I am seeing these in the log.

Here are some fresh examples:

2018-02-19 16:06:08,045 active-objects-init-JiraTenantImpl{id='system'}-0 ERROR anonymous [n.java.ao.sql] Exception executing SQL update <CREATE TABLE AO_2F1435_HEALTH_CHECK_STATUS (
APPLICATION_NAME VARCHAR(255),
COMPLETE_KEY VARCHAR(255),
DESCRIPTION VARCHAR(255),
FAILED_DATE DATETIME,
FAILURE_REASON VARCHAR(450),
ID INTEGER AUTO_INCREMENT NOT NULL,
IS_HEALTHY BOOLEAN,
IS_RESOLVED BOOLEAN,
RESOLVED_DATE DATETIME,
SEVERITY VARCHAR(255),
STATUS_NAME VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY(ID)
) ENGINE=InnoDB>
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'ao_2f1435_health_check_status' already exists
at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor12.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:425)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.getInstance(Util.java:408)
at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:944)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3973)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3909)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:2527)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:2680)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.execSQL(ConnectionImpl.java:2480)
at com.mysql.jdbc.StatementImpl.executeUpdateInternal(StatementImpl.java:1552)
at com.mysql.jdbc.StatementImpl.executeLargeUpdate(StatementImpl.java:2607)
at com.mysql.jdbc.StatementImpl.executeUpdate(StatementImpl.java:1480)
at net.java.ao.DatabaseProvider.executeUpdate(DatabaseProvider.java:2246)
at net.java.ao.DatabaseProvider.executeUpdateForAction(DatabaseProvider.java:2302)
at net.java.ao.DatabaseProvider.executeUpdatesForActions(DatabaseProvider.java:2274)
at net.java.ao.schema.SchemaGenerator.migrate(SchemaGenerator.java:91)
at net.java.ao.EntityManager.migrate(EntityManager.java:128)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.EntityManagedActiveObjects.migrate(EntityManagedActiveObjects.java:51)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.AbstractActiveObjectsFactory$1.doInTransaction(AbstractActiveObjectsFactory.java:77)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.AbstractActiveObjectsFactory$1.doInTransaction(AbstractActiveObjectsFactory.java:72)
at com.atlassian.sal.core.transaction.HostContextTransactionTemplate$1.doInTransaction(HostContextTransactionTemplate.java:21)
at com.atlassian.jira.DefaultHostContextAccessor.doInTransaction(DefaultHostContextAccessor.java:34)
... 2 filtered
at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy357.doInTransaction(Unknown Source)
... 2 filtered
at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.bridge.external.HostComponentFactoryBean$DynamicServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(HostComponentFactoryBean.java:136)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy357.doInTransaction(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.sal.core.transaction.HostContextTransactionTemplate.execute(HostContextTransactionTemplate.java:18)
... 2 filtered
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:302)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:56)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:60)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invokeUnprivileged(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:70)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:53)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:57)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:208)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy984.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.AbstractActiveObjectsFactory.create(AbstractActiveObjectsFactory.java:72)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.DelegatingActiveObjectsFactory.create(DelegatingActiveObjectsFactory.java:32)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.osgi.TenantAwareActiveObjects$1$1$1.call(TenantAwareActiveObjects.java:91)
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.osgi.TenantAwareActiveObjects$1$1$1.call(TenantAwareActiveObjects.java:86)
at com.atlassian.sal.core.executor.ThreadLocalDelegateCallable.call(ThreadLocalDelegateCallable.java:38)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
2018-02-19 16:06:08,046 active-objects-init-JiraTenantImpl{id='system'}-0 WARN anonymous [n.j.ao.db.MySQLDatabaseProvider] Error in schema creation: Table 'ao_2f1435_health_check_status' already exists; attempting to roll back last partially generated table
2018-02-19 16:06:08,337 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Plugin system earlyStartup ended
2018-02-19 16:06:08,525 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.c.cache.pauser.NonClusteredReplicationPauserManager] Non-clustered mode: ReplicationPauserManager implemented by NonClusteredReplicationPauserManager
2018-02-19 16:06:08,925 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.config.database.SystemDatabaseConfigurationLoader] Reading database configuration from C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\dbconfig.xml
2018-02-19 16:06:08,945 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.j.instrumentation.external.DatabaseExternalGauges] Installing DBCP monitoring instruments: DatabaseExternalGauges.JiraDbcpInstruments[instruments=[DBCP_MAX, DBCP_ACTIVE, DBCP_IDLE],objectName=com.atlassian.jira:name=BasicDataSource]
2018-02-19 16:06:11,020 JIRA-Bootstrap WARN [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] Your database is using an unsupported collation
2018-02-19 16:06:11,020 JIRA-Bootstrap WARN [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] Your mysql database is currently using an unsupported collation: utf8_general_ci. You should change this to a supported collation: - utf8_bin

Review our documentation for more information on supported collations.
2018-02-19 16:06:11,020 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.jira.upgrade.ConsistencyCheckerImpl] Checking JIRA consistency
2018-02-19 16:06:11,030 JIRA-Bootstrap INFO [c.a.jira.upgrade.ConsistencyCheckerImpl] The Server ID for this JIRA instance is: [BIHY-HPPP-VA4C-GPB4]

I have updated the MySql collation in the entire database to utf8_bin as directed by the warnings in the Jira log.

I also upgraded to Jira 7.7.2 and I am still seeing the same MySQLSyntaxErrorException errors with "table 'xyz' already exists" for multiple tables in the atlassian-jira.log file, and the same "surface" error behavior in Jira at the browser of HTTP 500 errors.  And still seeing the stuck spinner when attempting to look at the Boards in Jira.

I also tried pasting an empty <schema-name></schema-name> tag in the dbconfig.xml file (as another user online said this fixed their problem) and restarted the server but, no resolution.

Nothing has changed with all of these efforts.  I'm going to uninstall everything, delete all folders and re-install again for probably the 5th time, this time with collation set in the database ahead of time and then install Jira 7.7.2.

Any help would still be much appreciated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2018

Ok, I missed the Windows install thing, for which I apologise.  My only excuse is that you've posted vast amounts of stuff that I know isn't that important, and it's lead me to skim instead of read, and that was the wrong thing to do, and I should have read properly.

To try to go over the problems when I red properly:

Your "500" errors are just on the front end, and tell us nothing more than "there's an error on the server", there's no point in looking at them.

The fact the database can be reached and returns SQL errors rather than connection errors pretty much rules out the driver - a broken driver would return stacks of connection/read errors.

Good call on the collation, that needs to be right - it gets "interesting" when that is not set correctly

There is a consistent theme though - "cannot create table because it exists". 

This leads us to two possible problems - one is the schema thing you've already found the article for, the other is simply that you're trying to point a new Jira at an existing database that it can't read.

I suspect your instinct to "start clean" is right.  But when you do so, make sure you point the new system at a totally empty database.

I think we're just going to keep wasting time judging by your reply.  I've already lost a weekend of productive development time on this.

I have started clean each time.  It is obvious to anyone with any sense in these things that it would be a mistake not to.

And I didn't find a <schema-name /> node.  And I added an empty one.  No difference after restarting the Jira service.

Regarding the log info I sent.....so since the detailed error log that Jira itself writes about problems it encounters isn't helpful in any way to the Jira support team, a suggestion...maybe ask me for data that Jira does log that you deem important for finding the issue?  Is there anything useful logged for support purposes?  In our support exchanges here, I've been left guessing as to what information is in fact important and in my experience, exceptions in a log are kinda the first place to look -- they shouldn't be happening because they are exceptions -- errors.  And you said yourself you needed more than the HTTP 500 error info. but didn't specify what would help you help me.  So I sent what I could find and found it pretty quickly.

I have an extensive background in problem isolation (network and software engineering both), so if you can do so, make some suggestions if you have them that are beyond fundamental.  I've started with an empty database every time.  I know because C:\ProgramData\MySql is where MySql stores its database files and I've deleted it each time I have uninstalled MySql and Jira.  I've event performed a full file system search upon uninstall for "Jira", "Atlassian", "MySql" to be sure it was expunged completely before re-installing.

I posted another question titled "Error on first project creation after clean install" because I was getting no help here and I got an error right after creating my first Jira project on a CLEAN install with 7.7.2, then the same old SQL "syntax" "table exists" errors.

And I guess the developers at MySql are using MySQLSyntaxErrorException to throw errors that aren't syntax errors even though that's the name of the Exception class in the log.  And I know that MySql does from time to time change things up so it is plausible to question the driver, or the possibility that Jira is sending its own SQL statements to the database through the driver etc. etc....how would I know?  Hence why I am here, asking.

So, along the lines of starting at the top of problem isolation, would you say (for the first time in this conversation) that there are any issues with any combinations between?....

Windows 10 Pro 10.0.16299

Jira 7.7.2

MySql Community 5.7.21.0

mysql-connector-java-5.1.45-bin.jar.

i.e. Not Windows Server.  And MySql *Community*...driver along with that maybe?

Let's start there.  And go from there if there's anything useful to come of this.

I think Jira is a good product, but I don't know why such a clean vanilla installation would have such issues.  So that's why I myself would start with the versions of things.  i.e. driver, OS, etc. etc. to do problem isolation.  I've googled around and I see no indication that there are combinational problems with the above but can you confirm at least that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2018

<sigh> I really can't be bothered to respond to any of that. In your own words, you are wasting both my time and yours by ignoring what we're telling you. 

When you give us a list of errors and log entries, try acting on the responses instead of whinging.  Yes, I talked in unix instead of windows when trying to help, but the problems you're having are with what you have done, not the flavour of the operating system.

You've railed against database errors that tell you tables exist when installing.  Instead of whining about these errors, could you do it properly and actually use a totally empty database?  (The errors won't happen if you do it right)

Yes, this is a grumpy posting, but it does not seem that you are bothering to read properly, and you certainly are ignoring all the setup instructions, which really are not that complex.

One last comment Nic.  And be sure to read the all-caps below if nothing else.

Of course it "looks like" the database was pre-existing by the person installing it not removing it first, which is a convenient cover for someone that doesn't really care to drill down and dig and help a customer.

But the question remains...

WHY WOULDN'T JIRA ITSELF COMPLAIN DURING IT'S OWN INSTALLATION ABOUT PRE-EXISTING TABLES, OR PRE-EXSISTING ANYTHING?

IT NEVER HAS IN ALL MY RE-INSTALL ATTEMPTS.

It has never gone into any migration mode, upgrade mode, or mentioned anything during the installation about anything in its way.

The errors are always AFTER installation at RUN-TIME, after setup and after several other  user/business operations work fine (at least in 7.7.1, 7.7.2 fails right after project setup).  Hello?  Doesn't mean anything to you (Nic) I'm sure.

Real question here, which I suspect you will have deleted again.

Why does Jira not complain about pre-existing tables when it is installing?  Why does it only first complain after the Jira Windows Service is up and running and I'm successfully accessing it from the browser, after viewing the dashboard and other actions, only to fail on "table already exists" when I select "Search Items"?

Can't be bothered with a logical legitimate question?

Someone besides Nic?  @Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]?

Maybe this will help someone else that has the issue I am seeing.

As I have mentioned several times in this thread, and according to the MySql documentation, MySql on Windows puts its database in C:\ProgramData\MySql.

For reference, see:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/windows-installation-layout.html

Out of the 8 or so installation attempts I've made (including the first install, not re-install), this folder hasn't existed before installation or re-installation continues and completes.  I know because in my earlier re-installs (maybe 1 through 3), the MySql installer tells you, and so I'd cancel installation and go and delete C:\ProgramData\MySql.  Then after so many more attempts (say 4 through 8), I had remembered that I needed to delete that folder (of course, to remove the prior database) and would cancel installation, go delete it and then re-launch the installation.

This is at least an important step in making sure you don't have a pre-existing MySQL database before re-installing Jira.

And I think it is important for the Jira team to investigate why I'd be seeing "table already exists" errors on a fresh database install, after the application is up and running with no errors during Jira installation.  How would that be possible?  And no, I am not asking @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- as I don't want to bother him any more.

I do hope this helps someone.  Preferably it would turn into some real help on my having better success with my installation.

Am I able to escalate my questions to next level support?  I do realize I have a starter license but wanted to see what is possible.

Sincerely.

Does anyone know if the Jira engineers have worked with the versions I listed together in their own lab environment?  These:

Windows 10 Pro 10.0.16299

Jira 7.7.2

MySql Community 5.7.21.0

JDBC driver mysql-connector-java-5.1.45-bin.jar (in Jira lib folder)

or all of those but with Jira 7.7.1?

0 votes

Thanks much for all of the responses @Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist] and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-.

I will work with the information that @Jobin sent in his first replies and go from there.

JK

Suggest an answer