Variable for % done in subtasks

Ray Balmeo Cagayon May 17, 2024

In my application, i have main issues with multiple subtasks. The number of subtasks are always the same.

In the GUI page shows how much percentage done for the subtask's completion. I wanted to show this value on my dashboard to see what is the completion status of each main issues. 

Can anybody tell me what is the variable name of that percentage value?

image.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2024

Hi @Ray Balmeo Cagayon

to the best of my knowledge, this isn't available as a field. If you're willing to go down to the level of REST APIs, you can look at an issue's subtasks field, which contains the individual sub-tasks along with their status. You could probably also use Jira Automation to calculate the value and write it into a custom field.

Otherwise, if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you'll find apps that can help expose the sub-task progress in views and reports. I'll provide more information below.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2024

... and just to expand on the last point, this is how this would look in the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira:

sub-task-progress.gif

For context, JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of so-called smart columns that aren’t natively available, including the sub-task progress.

As you can see above, you can easily view and sort by the sub-task progress, and also use it across JXL's advanced features, such as support for (configurable) issue hierarchiesissue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

Any questions just let me know!

1 vote
Nikola Perisic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2024

Hello @Ray Balmeo Cagayon 

Let me quote Marianne from https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-there-a-way-to-report-percentage-of-completion-for-stories-in/qaq-p/1165441 thread:

"

There absolutely is!  You should build an Issue Filter for your current Sprint (Active Sprint) and add the Issue Statistics gadget to a Dashboard.  You will see a breakdown by status with percentages.

sprint.png  

The first thing you need to do is buld a query for your search results.  A basic one would be 

project = XXX AND Sprint in openSprints().  This will give you your Active Sprint in XXX= your project.  Save this with a unique name.  If you are only looking for specific status, you can add those to the query to filter out everything but your "done" statuses, eg.  make sure you share this filter.

The create a Dashboard.  There are so many gadgets you can add to tell this story, but for the down and dirty, I'd recommend this one - Issue Statistics.

Go to Dashboards, => Manage Dashboards

Select Create a New Dashboard

Fill out the required information and make sure to share Viewers and editors as appropriate.

Go to your new Dashboard and select Add Gadget at the top.  The original set may be limited, so click the Load all gadgets option at the top.

Type in issue Statistics and then the Add gadget button.  Close the tool

On your board, the gadget will appear on config mode. Choose the name of the filter you created, then change the statistic type to Status. 

With that simple setup, you have just what you need to report your completion percent and so much more.  I think you'll find lots of great gadgets to add that will really help you.

"

Ray Balmeo Cagayon May 17, 2024

@Perisic Nikola

Thank you. I can do that with some query and calculations on my end. What I am not getting is, if Jira can easily show the progress percentage, there must be some variable that i should be able to just pluck out instead of working the long way round.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events