Is there a way to report percentage of completion for stories in a project?

Kathy Cave August 28, 2019

I am a QA tester and we use Jira boards for our projects. Once the story has made it through testing we put it in the Done column. My boss also has us export all of the stories to excel and update the status there plus calculate the percentage of completion. There has be some kind of report in Jira to do this, right?? I hate that I have to keep two places update and also send a stupid status report. 

Please tell me there is a way to report on our status without downloading to excel. 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2019

There absolutely is!  You should build an Issue Filter for your current Sprint (Active Sprint) and add the Issue Statistics gadget to a Dashboard.  You will see a breakdown by status with percentages.

sprint.png 

The first thing you need to do is buld a query for your search results.  A basic one would be 

project = XXX AND Sprint in openSprints().  This will give you your Active Sprint in XXX= your project.  Save this with a unique name.  If you are only looking for specific status, you can add those to the query to filter out everything but your "done" statuses, eg.  make sure you share this filter.

The create a Dashboard.  There are so many gadgets you can add to tell this story, but for the down and dirty, I'd recommend this one - Issue Statistics.

Go to Dashboards, => Manage Dashboards

Select Create a New Dashboard

Fill out the required information and make sure to share Viewers and editors as appropriate.

Go to your new Dashboard and select Add Gadget at the top.  The original set may be limited, so click the Load all gadgets option at the top.

Type in issue Statistics and then the Add gadget button.  Close the tool

On your board, the gadget will appear on config mode. Choose the name of the filter you created, then change the statistic type to Status. 

With that simple setup, you have just what you need to report your completion percent and so much more.  I think you'll find lots of great gadgets to add that will really help you.

Good luck!!

Kathy Cave September 10, 2019

Thank you so much for this! This is exactly what I needed!

One more question....We have a column on our board called Business Review, but in the actual story the Status is Ready for Build. I need a way to show the column heading instead. Is this possible? Our scrum master said she can't rename the statuses. 

image.png

Below is one of the statuses that is showing Ready for Build, but they are actually in Business Review. 

image.png

Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2019

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to report on a status that does not exist in your workflow, right?  The column heading on the boards is arbitrary - you can name them whatever you like, but they're not reportable.  Think of them as buckets for different statuses in your workflow.  you can't display this column name in the status field on your story

You can rename statuses, but it will apply across the board anywhere it ist is used in a Workflow, not just to one story.  That may impact other projects.  If you have the use case for it, you may be able to add this status as a new status and add the right transitions so that you can update your storie(s)

workflow.gif

Your Scrum master may or may not have these permissions depending on your organizations' policies, but someone should have some options for you.

Hope this helps,

Marianne Miller

Kathy Cave September 10, 2019

Thanks Marianne! Do you have the navigation to transitions?

Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2019

This is the way I find easiest :

In the Jira Admin tool, go to your Project.

Navigate to Workflows

use the pencil icon (under Actions) to edit

You can edit existing or add a new step to the workflow here

Like Naveen Narula likes this
Ian McGrady February 6, 2020

Does anyone know if there is a way to export the percentage completed to Excel? 

Like # people like this
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 7, 2020

Hi Ian,

Does your question pertain to Jira Cloud specifically or also Jira Server?

1 vote
Daniel Sputa October 29, 2021

Hi, I am looking for the same report.

However,I am reading the responses, and  I don't understand how it could be helpful to anyone to see how many tickets are in what status. Completion of a project, assuming that the entire scope is in the JIRA and estimated is measured as % of done/total*100 - comparing that to consumed budget, you will see if you are ahead or behind...

Should we rather calculate the each tickets points estimates and work with those?

For example, I like the Sprint health gadget. I wish that there would be an option to use a "filter" with issues for that.

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2019

Hi  @Kathy Cave ,

It seems that the Pie Chart in Dashboard can match your case.

TIM截图20190829110254.png

Jesling Saw October 20, 2021

Hey @Ollie Guan

How did you manage to get the dashboard with pie chart showing the tasks status? I couldn't get it in my account :( Any setting required? Mind show me how? Thank you so much! 

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

Hi @Jesling Saw ,

• Go to the dashboard by selecting the Dashboards link in the navigation bar.
  • Click Edit. On the dashboard,
  • Click Add Gadget.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/add-and-customize-gadgets/

QQ截图20211021112956.png

Jesling Saw October 21, 2021

Thanks @Ollie Guan 

Suggest an answer