Using Jira Cloud I can't create multiple email addresses @mycorp.atlassian.net?

Erich Greenebaum September 7, 2016

This is a serious issue for me, and really a lame an arbitrary limitation. I don't want to have to administer a dedicated email server for this purpose and, like most large corporations, we use Exchange for our corporate email. And, no, I'm not in a position to enable IMAP or even manage that server.

I need to create an inbound handler for i.e. our web project. How do I do that without being able to create, i.e. web@mycorp.atlassian.net, and why in the world does JIRA have this limitation. It's infuriating.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2016

I'm not Atlassian, but I would assume they don't want to maintain many email accounts. Since at least one is a necessary to even use the feature, they provide one email account. IMAP boxes can have separate folders, which JIRA does support – However, I am not sure you can leverage IMAP folders while using atlassian.net's email address though so this might just be a non-starter.

Normally you would manage your own email boxes, but it seems like that is not an option for you. I haven't encountered a use-case where a Cloud customer needed multiple email boxes so I'd imagine you're going to be unable to find much feedback on the topic here. Unfortunately, you're probably going to need buy-in from your IT team to support JIRA with incoming email properly.

Erich Greenebaum September 7, 2016

Yes, I assume that's the reason too, although it's a very lightweight thing to do, considering it's not storing actual mail, and the domain is already established. Also, normally, I use cloud hosted service to avoid things like maintaining email services. I think lots of cloud customers probably would like the option of being able to route inbound tickets from email, just as many on prem customers probably do. After all, lots of people maintain lots of projects.

In any event, yes - I am spinning up an IMAP server to maintain in parallel with this "cloud" service...

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2016

I looked around for previous questions or a feature request – I couldn't find one. You could consider raising a feature suggestion for the Cloud system. I think similar types of use-cases leverage other cloud IMAP services to achieve this so they can remain 'all-cloud.' 

Suggest an answer