Using Database custom field as input into another non-child Database custom field on the same page

Derek Rone November 16, 2017

First time poster so be gentle please.  

I have a requirement for a user to select a value in a drop down that is loaded from a DB.  That part is done, easy peasy with a Database Custom field.  That value needs to be input to SQL for another DB Customer Field.  (Child doesn't work due to it being in a completely different DB.  I am trying to just use the one but the original is the authoritative source).  Is this possible?  

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

I can answer the first part of your question. Yes, you can have the second field to be dependent on what value is picked in the first one without using a child. That is how I am using it. I have two fields, product and product version, and use the value in product as part of my SQL for product version.

Derek Rone November 16, 2017

Thank you Mikael.  Any direction you have would be greatly appreciated.  I have a DBCF with SQL that populated a drop down.  The selection on that dropdown needs to be part of a where clause on another DBCF.  How do I reference it?  I tried "where x = {customerfield_ID}" and that didn't work.  Thank you.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

Here is what my where clause looks like:

WHERE
P."Name" = {customfield_11950}

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2017

Btw, the "" around Name has to do with PostgreSQL, we migrated from mySQL and PostgreSQL does recognize my tables and columns without the "".

Derek Rone November 17, 2017

Much appreciated Mikael!  Now I wish I would have split out my questions on here so not everyone bypasses it thinking it was all solved.  Thanks again sir!  Cheers

I went ahead and changed the title so people wouldn't be confused - thanks again

Suggest an answer