Updating Zendesk ticket following Jira Release event

Robin Miklinski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 8, 2021

Currently it's possible to update a Zendesk ticket when the status of a Jira issue changes using Jira Automation.

I would like to do this when a Jira Release is set to 'released' status, but don't see any option for it in Jira Workflows. 

Does this need to be a manual webhook post, or is there a better way to set it up in Jira?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2021

Hi Robin,

The workflows within Jira are not an ideal location for this kind of change.  This is because the workflows in Jira control how the Jira issues changes over the course of time.  However a release is happening on the versions level, not on the issue level. Hence a release is happening outside the control of the workflow itself.

However we can still use automation within Jira Cloud in order to trigger on this event.  Take a look at Automation Triggers: Version created, updated, released.  It explains how you can create a trigger to execute when a version is released.  From there you can add other conditions if need be, but effectively, you can then call an action to fire, such as a webhook or send an email.  Either of these might be able then to send some data to another application like zendesk.  I'm not sure how you are currently using automation in order to update zendesk, but perhaps if we can learn more I can provide some more detailed guidance here.

Andy

Robin Miklinski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 14, 2021

Thank you for this Andy, I will look into doing it via triggers and webhook. One challenge we might have is providing enough info so that Zendesk can map the Jira issues being closed to those in Zendesk. 

I might have one further question around this once we have implemented it and would welcome your view.

Robin

Mahi Tangnoo October 10, 2022

Hello Robin,

Could you please provide any documentation regarding how can we display any update made in jira in Zendesk as you said you were able to achieve the same using automation.

How did you do if you can provide anything on that will be great.

Thanks,

Mahi

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events