Update jira and ServiceDesk

JConstantine September 5, 2019

1. I have backup Jira 6.4.9 and ServiceDesk. What should I install Jira or ServiceDesk in a new server?

2. If I want to update Jira to the last version what should I update Jira or ServiceDesk? 

3. Maybe at first install Jira and update it to the last version and then install ServiceDesk?

4. I always download updates, but only in Jira, why now may backup is in the first version of Jira?

2 answers

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2019

Hello Lena,

Answering your questions:

1 - If you're upgrading both Jira Core/Software and Jira Service Desk, upgrade Jira Core/Software only. You'll later upgrade Service Desk directly in Jira, without a separate installer.

2 - Upgrade JIRA Core/Software first, and then JIRA Service Desk

3 - Yes, that's the correct approach as described in the previous steps

4 - Always generate a backup from your current JIRA version before upgrading it. In case your upgrade may fail, you can roll-up to the previous version.

You can check more details of the steps in the documentation below:

Upgrading Jira Server (installer)

P.S: Since you are using an older version of JIRA, you must first upgrade it to an intermediary version before migrating it to the final one. You can check more details about it here: Skipping major versions when upgrading JIRA applications

Let me know if the documentation and explanation answer your questions.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2019

Hi Lena,

I understand you have Jira and Service Desk from an older version and you are interested in upgrading these to the latest versions.  You can't actually upgrade Service Desk from that version directly.  You have to first upgrade to an intermediate version of Jira.  Notes on this are in Skipping major versions when upgrading JIRA applications.

JIRA Service Desk specific notes

If you plan to upgrade from JIRA and JIRA Service Desk less than 6.4x and 2.5.x respectively, you must upgrade to JIRA Service Desk 3.0 as an interim version before upgrading further.

Which means that you first have to upgrade Jira to a 7.0.x version first.  And then be sure that you update all the plugins in Jira that you need (such as service desk 3.0.x).  Doing this will then update that service desk specific data in the database.   Once this is complete and you are sure that Service Desk is working on this version, you can then upgrade Jira again directly to the latest version which right now is 8.3.3 for Jira / 4.3.3 for Service Desk. 

I would recommend using the Service Desk install package you download from https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/download

Technically you could use the Jira Software or Jira core installer as well and then update Service Desk, but this installer bundles Core and Service Desk together.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer