Unable to set new customer as reporter with Automation

Luis Martinez May 16, 2023

Hello, 

I've had this working for a while but recently this stopped working and I am curious to know if others might have an alternative solution. I've created an automation that will extract and email from the body of an issue and save it as a custom variable that is then used to register the email as a new customer. The data is then re-fetched in order to set this newly created customer as the reporter in the issue. This worked without issue. However, recently we've been getting an error that states the user is inactive for the new customer and therefore it cannot be set as the reporter. Does anyone know how to resolve this or if there may be a better way to put this automation in place? 

Thanks! 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Cael Metcalfe July 9, 2023

Hey @Luis Martinez - the solution is to use the tag {{customer}} - support directed me here.

Capture.PNG

When you type it in, click the "Smart value {{customer}}" option in the drop down to select it - this is a reference to the Customer created - or the matched existing Customer.

Have tested with creation of new Customer and with an existing Customer.

Capture.PNG

0 votes
Cael Metcalfe July 6, 2023

I too am having this same issue and it defeats the purpose of the Create Customer action for me.

While you can create a new Customer via automation, no matter who the Actor is on the Automation Rule, that newly created customer is seen as an Inactive User:

Capture.PNG

This attempt to set this Customer as the Reporter via automation results in the Reporter being removed and the ticket showing "Anonymous" as the Reporter:
(note this screen shot shows history change against my name, because I am testing with myself as the Automation Rule actor here)

Capture.PNG

The newly created Customer is seen as inactive in any subsequent Automation Rules as well, you can only select them as the Reporter manually, after which Automation will be able to set that customer email as the reporter going forward.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hi @Luis Martinez 

I would check if the user is indeed deactivated (most likely he/she is) and activated again. Is the customer and internal user (meaning does he has a jira license) or is a portal only customer?

Luis Martinez May 16, 2023

These are created as portal only customers. I am able to set them as the reporter manually after the automation runs. Seems to only be an issue when the automation tries to set it as the reporter. 

Cael Metcalfe July 9, 2023

Use tag: {{customer}}

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events