Unable to see 'date' when logging time

Tim Webb December 9, 2019

Hi all,

We're on Cloud and I have time tracking enabled for my projects (not nex-gen) and the field to track time is there. However, when I want to use the feature, the 'date started' field is missing and I only see the option to enter time spent and time remaining.

Once I log time and then go to edit that log, the option to add a start date is there. However,  I want this option to be available when I add the time.

The issue is that more often than not, the devs will enter their time for the past day, and I'd really like those hours to be logged accurately. I could enforce this behavior for then individuals, but mistakes are made and I rather have my guys go home after a long day and do clerical work the next.

EDIT: I see that only I as the admin am able to edit work logs. Please tell me there is a way for the devs to do that!

Thanks all!

1 answer

1 vote
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2019

Hi @Tim Webb 

If you are admin, you could look under Jira Settings - Issue Attributes - Permission Schemes - Time Tracking Permissions (right at the bottom of the screen). I allow Jira-users access to edit own work-logs or work on issues. Everything else should be admin only. 

Permission Schemes - Time Tracking Permissions.jpg

This gives everyone the ability to add time against the issues they have worked on, and gives them the ability to change the date started.  

We have two ways of adding time, one through the default Jira time logging, and another through a plugin. 

Plugin example screen: 

Here one can see user has the ability to enter time spent, date started and Work Description.  There is also a hidden key press menu on the Work Description that pops up a menu of sub-categories when the hash key is pressed. The plugin also allows time to be extracted to CSV or to produce charts in Jira. (see Timesheet Reports and Gadgets for JIRA Cloud).

Log Work 1.jpg

Jira default time logging:

Log Work 2.jpg-Mike

Tim Webb December 11, 2019

Hello @Mike Bowen thank you very much. The path was a little different for me, mainly because the permission for time tracking was hidden and not actually on that screen, but due to your explanations I knew what I needed to look for - found it and it's now working great. 

Thank you, sir!

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2019

Hi @Tim Webb 

You are most welcome. 

Kind regards,

Mike

Kalai January 3, 2024

I'm using Jira default time logging but I'm unable to see date started, remaining estimation etc., 

I see only any logged in user option(not Jira-users) under Permission Schemes - Time Tracking Permissions  to edit own work-logs or work on issues

kindly advise me on how to get date and other option on jira free version.

Suggest an answer