Unable to get results for EMPTY Epic user stories/ tasks/ bugs

alice hwang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 13, 2023

I am trying to bulk change a number of user stories, tasks, bugs that have no Epics linked to them. The source of truth would be my current Jira board, filtered on 'Issues with no Epic' within the Epic filter which = 91 items total. When I try to get the same results via Advanced Search option, I am getting a total of ~266 items. 

Here is the JQL: project = FHIR AND status = "To Do" AND "Epic Name" is EMPTY
AND Sprint is EMPTY AND type in (Story, Task, Bug)

When I spot checked 1 of the results from the JQL, I noticed that the Epic Name and Epic Link are blank for one of my user stories when they are apart of an Epic so not sure what I am doing wrong

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2023

Hello @alice hwang 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Are you working with issues in a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project? That information will show at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left when you are viewing the project.

In either case "Epic Name" is not the right field to use in your JQL.

For a Company Managed project the field you should use is "Epic Link".

For a Team Managed project the field you should use is Parent.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hello @alice hwang 

Were you able to solve your issue with the Answer I provided? If so, please consider marking the Answer as Accepted to help other users find posts with validated solutions.

If you are still having an issue, please let us know so we can try to help you solve it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events