Unable to create a report

Stephan Pilz January 13, 2021

I want to create a report to analyze the time for first reaction and the resolution time.

• I changed my project type from Jira Core to Jira Service Desk
  • I have defined the SLA for this both things
  • Jira has recalculate the SLA

I can not find a menu point or configuration entry to design a report, but in many sites there are information, that there must be a "button" for, like here

All of the pages describe, that I can create a report by clicking "reports", but I can not find "a report creating button" in Jira. Nor in the project page, nor in system settings, ... On which place this button must be? 

Used Jira Version is 7.12

Furthermore there shall be exist a gadget called "Time to first response", that I can install, but this gadget I can not find too.

Thanks for helping me

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

edited - I see you have already found the article I suggested so I suspect you do not have permissions. 

I use Cloud so my ability to observe/test is limited to docs. Here is the document that describes reports in server version. - setting-up-service-project-reports 

you mention version 7.12 but that is you JSW version not JSM. The link above is for the latest version of JSM 4.14. 
Finally, if you find you do not have access to New Report then check with you admin to ensure you have the necessary permissions. 

I dont understand, why you differ between JSM and JSW, because JSW is now JSM. The report function I can find also in documentations from earlier versions.

And if you you say, I dont have the permissions: I'm logged on the system as jira admin. Which access rights I should check?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

JSW is not JSM. Not sure how you come to that conclusion. However, maybe I missed some announcement from Atlassian?

JSW = Jira Software aka Jira

JSM = Jira Service Management = rebranding of JSD (Jira Service Desk) but includes things like OpsGenie and more focus on ITSM

In any event, if you are at least a admin role for the specific project you should be able to see "New report" once you click on Reports in the JSM project sidebar. If you do not see this then check under Project settings > People and inspect your role(s) in that project.

2021-01-13_09-41-04.png

OK. JSW is my mistake. I add some screenshots. First, my versions. And then the menu from the project management and the drop down content of the project header.2021-01-14 07_25_24-Versionen und Lizenzen - JIRA Test Env.png

2021-01-14 07_18_47-Projekt IT-Hotline - JIRA Test Env.png

2021-01-14 07_17_11-Projekte - JIRA Test Env.png

2021-01-14 07_17_48-Projekt IT-Hotline - JIRA Test Env.png

I have no sidebar in Jira. Please can you post a bigger screenshot, to see how you navigate to the screen in your last reponse?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

Hi @Stephan Pilz

Jack is using a cloud instance - the basics are the same but it would not help you in detail as for an answer on how to navigate through to reports.

Other idea than that: here is a link that should, adapted to your URL, work to get to the reports page of a Jira Service Desk project on your server. If it does not work, for example. an error page pops up you might be missing permissions which is then best to clarified with your Jira Admin/IT helpdesk (or any other process that is defined on your end to get permissions):

https://jira.example.org/projects/EXAMPLE?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:report-page

jira.example.org = please replace with what suits for your host.
EXAMPLE = please replace with the project's name

Regards,
Daniel

Stephan Pilz January 14, 2021

Hi Daniel,

I've tried your URL and I get an overview of available Reports. What I get is a subset of the available Gadgets, but no reports what I search for (Time to first response and Time to resolved). And there is also no "new report". 

2021-01-14 09_32_09-IT-Hotline - JIRA Test Env.pngRegards

Stephan

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

Good, this is the expected overview. "New report" is nothing that is common for this page.
Normally you would click, say for example, on "Average Age Report" and then can create a new report of that kind.

As for "Time to first response" you have to look somewhere else. This is a gadget for a dashboard (here is the click-through path):

1. Dashboards >> Manage Dashboards
2. Choose your dashboard or create a new one by "Create new dashboard"
3. On the dashboard: "add a new gadget"
4. Click "Load all gadgets"
5. Choose "Time to First Reponse"gad.png
6. Inspect and finetune it further

Let us know if it helped.

Regards,
Daniel

Stephan Pilz January 14, 2021

Exacly this type "Time to first response" I miss on this place. Not exist, if I choose "Show all" (I have 25 report types here). Not exist, if I search for "time", "response" or the same in german.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2021

That's strange. The nearest information I could get is that the corresponding custom field is missing - but I doubt this is a match here as the gadget would be displayed anyway:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/time-to-first-response-gadget-does-not-display-data-779160763.html

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2021

sorry guys haven't had a chance to get back to this....

So i'm a bit confused here. It seems the discussion has gravitated to dashboard gadgets but unclear that is what you really want. Note - I too am unsure why you don't see the TTFR gadget in the list. However, that gadget isn't associated w/ JSM and any SLA you have set up, AFAIK. Based on your OP, I would think you want to create a report in your project under Reports for your TTFR SLA but maybe I'm missing the point here?

As Daniel mentioned I am on cloud and can't see this firsthand but I don't understand why you can't create a new report. Here is the document for 3.13 JSM - setting-up-service-desk-reports 

Stephan Pilz January 15, 2021

Hi Jack,

Thx for your reply. Report and gadget dashboards are often called same in Jira docs and forums. 

My goal is to make reports/diagrams to analyze my SLA's and the best way I think is to use the build-in gadgets, but I can not find it on the list. And I can not find any information, that the visibility of gadgets depends on different conditions.

I run JSM and JSW on the same machine, but I have defined SLA's only in one JSM project.

Currently I helped myself with a dirty hack: I've created two custom attributes (ttfr and ttr), fill the values in an issue commented event listener and some post functions, then make a CSV export and the analysis is in Excel (There is also a bug in my current Jira version, that SLA values are not exported, although I see (the calculated values) in the issue list.)

Regards
Stephan

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2021

SLA reports are only under the project under “Reports”. While I wish you could pull these into a Dashboard that is not currently available. 

Stephan Pilz January 15, 2021

And "Reports" under project does not exist in my server version. But Daniel and others said, that there should be exist a gadget called "TTFR" (see screenshot above), which also not exist in my version.

I think, it makes no sense to discuss this here. Seems like a bug in my version. In the next half year my plan is to update to a newer version. Hope, it works there.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2021

You're mixing up things. Let's go back one step.
Reports exist in your version, above you showed the screenshot and this is what Jira provided - no bug here.

The Time to First Reponse is a Dashboard Gadget, you said it is not appearing - which could be the case (we cannot verify from here).
These are in total two different things.

What is not available (by means of: not considered) are reports which could defined absolutely "free" (meaning where you would have to bring your very own logic in).

Here is an overview from which you can choose (minus the one gadget, which seems to be missing, for whatever cause):
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/reporting-in-jira-461504615.html

Suggest an answer