Unable to assign users to tasks/stories

Anna Cerrito December 19, 2017

As of two weeks ago, the Jira user interface changed slightly so it looks like there was a software update. Ever since that time, I am no longer able to assign tasks/stories to users on my project team. I was able to do before. Now, the only person I can assign to a task is myself. There is no drop-down that appears as I begin typing a user name, as before. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Anna

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2017

Hi Anna,

you should check the permission scheme of your project, especially the part "assignable users". 

Maybe someone has changed the permission settings for your project.

Thanks. I will try that.

I was only able to assign the role of "User"; there was no "Assignable User" role. When I tried to assign a task to an individual with the role of "User", I was not able to do so. The same problem persists.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2017

This is not the permission scheme.

Try to find the permission scheme in your project. Look under permissions, not users and roles

Found it. Thanks.

Anna Cerrito December 22, 2017

I found out that the problem had nothing to do with permissions. 

It appears that the last Jira update that happened about 3 - 4 weeks ago took away the ability to assign stories/tasks to users from the Backlog. Now, the only way it can be done is through "Issues". It takes a lot of extra time to open each issue to assign resources when it could previously be done from the Backlog screen. Hope this makes sense.

Is there an awareness that this functionality was taken away?

Suggest an answer