Unable to assign issues to users even with proper permissions

Tarkan Serim May 23, 2019

None of our users (including admins) are able to assign issues to users. When we click the assignee field and type in any name, nothing is returned. The project has "any logged in user" permission for "assignable user" as well as "assign issues". When I check the users names from the permission helper, Jira tells me that the users do have permissions (both for assigning and being assigned).

We do have Post-Functions to assign issues automatically to different users for different steps in the workflow. I am wondering if this makes a difference. Although the issues were still assignable to anyone for a few days before this behavior started happening.

(using Jira cloud)

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Tarkan Serim May 24, 2019

After working with the support team, turns out the issue was the fact that the "Assignee" field was not in the "View/Edit Issue Screen" for this particular project. Although the filed was still showing on the actual issue details, and was also present in the "Issue Layout" menu (for the new issue layout), since it wasn't on the View/Edit Issue Screen, users were not able to update it.

Once the Assignee field was added to this screen issue was resolved.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2019

Oh, I see! Thanks for the update!

Like Bhaskar likes this
Chesco Igual
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 1, 2019

Solved for us, thanks! Super straighforward as usual :D

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2019
Hi Tarkan,
Did you finally raise a ticket with Atlassian Support?
https://support.atlassian.com/contact
Regards.
Tarkan Serim May 24, 2019

Yes, I was able to reach out and resolve the issue. I will write out the resolution here so others can reference in the future if they run into the same situation.

Like Chesco Igual likes this
0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2019
There have been some changes in order to improve privacy and to better algn with GDPR.

"As part of an effort to consolidate user profiles, we're phasing out usernames in favor of using full names and public names when users are searched for and referenced in Jira Cloud and Bitbucket Cloud."

Apps that you or your users may have installed in Atlassian cloud products are being updated to protect your users' privacy.
What this means for your users:
• They'll be able to control who can see the information on their profile.

• Their profile information may look different depending on who's viewing it.

• They aren't able to do things like search for users by their usernames anymore.

• Their public names, instead of their full names, will display on community-oriented Atlassian sites, such as Atlassian Community and jira.atlassian.com."
Tarkan Serim May 23, 2019

@Ignacio PulgarI appreciate the information, but I might be missing the connection between your answer and my question. Could you please clarify if there is any link between the two?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2019

After reading your question a second time and having tested a bit, my initial answer has no relationship with it. Sorry for that.

Please, double check with the Permission Helper that people count with the permissions you mentiomed and Browse Projects.

If they have all permissions, open a ticket to Atlassian Support.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events