Turn off email notifications for a single user

is it possible to turn off email notifications for a particular user?  We need the user to remain in the group but they no longer want to  receive email.

7 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

This is very important feature to turn off some sort of notifications for a single user. Any updates on it?

Same answers - remove them from the criteria that get them sent email.

Any update ?

In the days of Slack and APIs, this is by far not the best answer (don't take it personnaly but I call them 'workarounds of the lazy'), the question is to turn off emails, not to turn off notifications.

I want to turn off email  because I have an other mean to receive these notifications.

I have been searching for days and still can't find it.
I receive now notifications in Slack, and, I get spammed in emails.

JIRA could be better on this matter (emails).
So the question remains, can we stop email notifications without changing the email (very bad idea btw) ?

Joe Pitt Community Champion Apr 20, 2017

Not without modifying the source code (bad idea)

Found this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-46004, where Atlassian says "they are thinking about it." that was 2 years ago... 

Is it perhaps time to file a new suggestion?

I have resubmitted https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68100 since there is no response for 46004.

Please vote up the suggestion if you find this useful like me.

Another up vote for the feature. Is there somewhere we can file a feature request?

My problem is that I have a bot account that's used to create issues. but the bot has an email account that is accumulating junk.

So it is not possible to turn the notification off for this bot based on roles. Since I do want all "Reporters" (as an example) to get email. EXCEPT if the reporter is a specific account.

I cannot configure the "Except" clause today.

It would be nice to have a higher-priority negative setting in the notification. "i.e. Exclude the person who is on the list for a specific event, not-withstanding the "include" clauses"

I have the same trouble and complication  with combination to addons for emails. This notification generating the loop errors. To remove the user from notification schleme is not possible from all notifications schema. I vote up for have possibility switch off all notification for bot based roles.  At the moment  I can swith on /off only user own notification. We need  to have admin access to switch OFF all notification for specific user account. I heard from Jira partners  to having  the same troubles for long time beeing.

I am using Slack to get my notifications, so the emails are just duplicates and not needed. Would love a way to turn off email notifications for myself. A simple toggle on my profile would be awesome. I'm guessing there isn't as way yet?

No, but you can change their email to a dead address so all their mail is binned.

well that user can go to profile and turn off notifications. but, this will be for issues that user is involved with.

Then remove them from the criteria that are making them get email. Work through your notification scheme and think about it - if they're getting emails because they are a watcher, remove them from watching. If it's on all updates going to a group, remove them from the group. And so-on

this method will create mail server spam and makes it difficult to track that account owner over time, reset password etc. 

we use several accounts in automation which are generating alerts from automated updated to tickets etc

Oh this is how Atlassian works, they just delete comments ! Very smart 

Stuff that looks spam-like or insulting gets filtered or removed.  Did you have  a lot of links, code or bad language in your postings?

I would be very happy to hear that it is possible to turn off email notifications as i already use slack integration and i am not happy with all the messy alerts from Jira in my mailbox ;( 

Just turn them off for the whole project using the notifications schemes

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

226 views 3 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you