Turn off email notifications for a single user

Paul Shustak October 18, 2014

is it possible to turn off email notifications for a particular user?  We need the user to remain in the group but they no longer want to  receive email.

14 answers

14 votes
Sergey Ryabenko June 30, 2016

This is very important feature to turn off some sort of notifications for a single user. Any updates on it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2016

Same answers - remove them from the criteria that get them sent email.

Like # people like this
Meludia April 20, 2017

Any update ?

In the days of Slack and APIs, this is by far not the best answer (don't take it personnaly but I call them 'workarounds of the lazy'), the question is to turn off emails, not to turn off notifications.

I want to turn off email  because I have an other mean to receive these notifications.

I have been searching for days and still can't find it.
I receive now notifications in Slack, and, I get spammed in emails.

JIRA could be better on this matter (emails).
So the question remains, can we stop email notifications without changing the email (very bad idea btw) ?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

Not without modifying the source code (bad idea)

11 votes
Sven Langnau January 22, 2019

Nothing new in 2019? Pending now for over 4 Years, are you serious???

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2019

It's not high on the to-do list, as it's not important to most users of Jira.

Jira 8 includes some changes to the way notifications work though, to make things easier to configure and reduce the volume of noise from Jira mails.

robkent January 23, 2019

I hate Jira email notifications, they spam 80% of my inbox. Maybe most users are not affected, but some will hate the product because of it.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2019

Yep, and admins like me rapidly learn to turn off all but the most essential ones - quite often I find myself setting up schemes that have a handful of "notify watcher" on some lines and little else.

Like Daniel Brvnišťan likes this
Matthew Cloy June 14, 2019

Even worse, I work for an agency, so I'm involved in MANY projects.... imagine my inbox... and it's not like I can ask clients to disable notifications..... It's such a glaringly obvious ommision it's just embarrasing... And "it's not important for most users" just sounds like exuses I'm afraid.... it's super basic functionality.

Like # people like this
8 votes
Joshua Li November 2, 2017

Found this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-46004, where Atlassian says "they are thinking about it." that was 2 years ago... 

Is it perhaps time to file a new suggestion?

Joshua Li November 23, 2017

I have resubmitted https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68100 since there is no response for 46004.

Please vote up the suggestion if you find this useful like me.

Like # people like this
Christian de Bellefeuille November 21, 2018

Yeah, ton of stuff should pass from "we are thinking about it" to "it's urgent"... and they are still thinking about it 4 years later.   

I'll gladly Upvote... 

This ticketting system is a joke with its lack of many simple basic things.  Confluence isn't any better.  No multilingual support for article... ridiculous.  

Like # people like this
4 votes
Azfar Masut
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2019

How I manage this in my 10k users instance of JIRA DC is, to create a role based notification setup - after getting lots and lots of complaints from the users

Create a set of new roles, purely for Notification. Example:

1. Notification Role(active)
  2. Notification Role(mild)
  3. Notification Role(none)

In notification scheme, set notification based on these role.

For role mild, normally i select all notification will be send on all action (these are for those over achiever micromanage managers)

For role active, only for key action will be send notification

For role none, none selected

I still keep default 'reporter'/'current assignee' type notification enabled for mentions or issue assigned stuff. Anything that considered vital notification.

Project admin can then control the notification themselves by assigning user accordingly to the project roles.

Gontran Ongouta May 28, 2020

Thank you for this workaround!

3 votes
Joshua Li October 13, 2017

Another up vote for the feature. Is there somewhere we can file a feature request?

My problem is that I have a bot account that's used to create issues. but the bot has an email account that is accumulating junk.

So it is not possible to turn the notification off for this bot based on roles. Since I do want all "Reporters" (as an example) to get email. EXCEPT if the reporter is a specific account.

I cannot configure the "Except" clause today.

It would be nice to have a higher-priority negative setting in the notification. "i.e. Exclude the person who is on the list for a specific event, not-withstanding the "include" clauses"

bem_petr November 2, 2017

I have the same trouble and complication  with combination to addons for emails. This notification generating the loop errors. To remove the user from notification schleme is not possible from all notifications schema. I vote up for have possibility switch off all notification for bot based roles.  At the moment  I can swith on /off only user own notification. We need  to have admin access to switch OFF all notification for specific user account. I heard from Jira partners  to having  the same troubles for long time beeing.

2 votes
pavel.pejsek October 1, 2020
pavel.pejsek October 1, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 3.31.42 PM.png

Like support likes this
2 votes
Ted Johnson April 17, 2018

I am using Slack to get my notifications, so the emails are just duplicates and not needed. Would love a way to turn off email notifications for myself. A simple toggle on my profile would be awesome. I'm guessing there isn't as way yet?

Deleted user December 19, 2019

I got excited for a moment when I read about users setting their own email preferences in JIRA, but that ability is only available in Jira Cloud, unfortunately. 

0 votes
dfinlay587 July 18, 2019

Unfortunately,  I have this issue as well.  We integrate with Active Directory,  so everyone in the company is in the directory,  although not all are "users",  We had a prolific employee leave James Brown (jbrown@xyzco.com).  His account went inactive.  Then a new employee started, Janice Brown (jbrown@xyzco.com).  She does not use Jira at all and has no account/role.  However,  on the sync with Active Directory,  now everywhere jbrown is referenced,  Janice Brown Appears (e.g. Reporter,  Resolver, Comments, Assignee, etc.).  Not a big issue.  Except Notifications.  Now Janice gets Jira Notifications for anything that would have previously gone to James.  It wouldn't be bad,  except, as I said, James was prolific,  and Janice doesn't use Jira at all.

No solution to this yet.  I did ask Janice change her name to Betty.  She said no.  

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2019

If she doesn't use JIRA James's ID should be inactive and removed from all project roles or groups and not getting any notifications

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2019

I doubt this is going to get much traction to be changed. I suggest you talk with your users to see what notifications they really want and what, if any, management wants. The first thing users should do is turn off notification for any updates they make if it isn't already the default when IDs are created. Most of my users don't want notifications every time an issue is updated. Most just want when an issue is assigned to them and reporters want to know when it is closed. To me everything else is superfluous. If they really want to track an issue they can make themselves watchers. If you remove the notifications from updated and all the other actions except assign and close I suspect your users will approve of that. Leave watchers on the updated action. 

robkent January 23, 2019

If you use Slack, you can see the difference. Every user style is unique, so instead of trying find an average solution for all, it is better to let them fine tune their own notifications — great solution for everyone in the team.

mark pumphrey June 13, 2019

@robkent self service so not to provide any service, nice

0 votes
robkent October 24, 2018

Lack of such feature is ridiculous bad work from Atlassian. Compare to modern apps (Slack), where users are able to fine tune every aspect of notification flow.

Marcin P. December 10, 2018

That is true. 

Atlassian do you have a task on this in your pipeline?

0 votes
coditive_tomek_l June 6, 2018

I would be very happy to hear that it is possible to turn off email notifications as i already use slack integration and i am not happy with all the messy alerts from Jira in my mailbox ;( 

Dmitry Kashkarov July 4, 2018

Just turn them off for the whole project using the notifications schemes

Rob October 10, 2018

How can I disable just email notifications within the project, but keep the Jira in app notifications?

Like Malachi Burke likes this
0 votes
Dmitry Kashkarov April 8, 2018

Oh this is how Atlassian works, they just delete comments ! Very smart 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 8, 2018

Stuff that looks spam-like or insulting gets filtered or removed.  Did you have  a lot of links, code or bad language in your postings?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2014

No, but you can change their email to a dead address so all their mail is binned.

Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2014

well that user can go to profile and turn off notifications. but, this will be for issues that user is involved with.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2014

Then remove them from the criteria that are making them get email. Work through your notification scheme and think about it - if they're getting emails because they are a watcher, remove them from watching. If it's on all updates going to a group, remove them from the group. And so-on

marshall_craig February 25, 2016

this method will create mail server spam and makes it difficult to track that account owner over time, reset password etc. 

we use several accounts in automation which are generating alerts from automated updated to tickets etc

Suggest an answer