Trying to set up dashboard functionality for tracking issue time in status

Alison Wisdom April 21, 2021

I am a new user. I am the Admin for our Jira Software. We use the Cloud version. 

I want to set up a gadgets on my dashboard that answer the following questions:

1) Over the course of the Current Sprint what is the average time tasks are spending in Status X? For example this could be a chart with the days of my Current Sprint on the X-axis, and the Y-axis would mark the average number of days that the tasks in "Review" have been in that status, as of that day. Then I could look and see, over the course of the sprint, the fluctuation of time that an average task is spending in Review. If the length of time tasks have been in Review jumps alarmingly any given day, then I can see the bottleneck.

2) Provide a list of the those tasks in my Current Sprint that have stayed in Status X for over Y amount of time. This seems like a pretty simple filter perhaps?

I am stuck because we don't use time tracking right now, so I would need to be using the date/time that a task is placed into Review vs. the date/time it is moved out.

Any ideas?

4 answers

2 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 22, 2021

Hi @Alison Wisdom 

You can try Time in Status for Jira Cloud developed by my team. It generates 7 types of time reports (including Average time in Status).

For your case:

1) Sort data by Sprint and Average time report. You can choose table or chart view as shown below.

2021-04-22_12-59-19.png

Pie Chart View:

2021-04-22_13-04-23.png

2) Here you can use the JQL as was suggested in the previous answer. Also, you can sort the required data in Time in Status for Jira Cloud add-on.

2021-04-22_13-59-59.png

Furthermore, all that data can be added to the Jira dashboard.

Hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2021

Hello @Alison Wisdom ,

For an automated solution that offers great flexibility and details, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee. You can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Cycle Time or Lead Time

Time in Status also allows you to filter issues based on those times so you can easily get the ones that are above a given treshold.

You can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the total InProgress time per Epic, or average Resolution Time per issuetype).

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.pngGadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.pngGadget_AverageStatusDuration_Chart.png

Time in Status can display its reports on its own reporting page, issue view pages and dashboard gadgets, as data or charts in all.

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It works with both Company Managed and Team Managed (next-gen) projects.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets and on issue view pages.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
April 25, 2021

Hi @Alison Wisdom ,

You can try Status Time app developed by our team. It provides reports on how much time passed in each status as well as status entry dates and status transition count.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports(eg. average in progress time per project). And all these are available as gadgets on the dashboard too.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2021

Hi @Alison Wisdom -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You cannot do what you ask with out of the box Jira Cloud.  The built-in time in status gadget only works for Resolved issues.  Instead you could investigate/purchase marketplace add-ons or build your own measurement using custom fields and automation rules.  I recommend making a list of what you want/need, and then check out the marketplace.

To help you clarify this, here are some notes on what you asked about.

1) Over the course of the Current Sprint what is the average time tasks are spending in Status X? For example this could be a chart with the days of my Current Sprint on the X-axis, and the Y-axis would mark the average number of days that the tasks in "Review" have been in that status, as of that day. Then I could look and see, over the course of the sprint, the fluctuation of time that an average task is spending in Review. If the length of time tasks have been in Review jumps alarmingly any given day, then I can see the bottleneck.

With add-ons (or build your own) you can measure time in status for in progress work.  However you note that time in Review could jump on a given day.  That is unlikely unless you have work moving backwards and forward in your workflow.  You could expect to see time in a particular status gradually increase.

2) Provide a list of the those tasks in my Current Sprint that have stayed in Status X for over Y amount of time. This seems like a pretty simple filter perhaps?

This question you can answer with out-of-the-box JQL.  For example to find the in progress issues not moved in the last 3 days.  Please look at this documentation for more information.

project = myProject
AND status = "In Progress"
AND NOT status CHANGED AFTER -3d

I am stuck because we don't use time tracking right now, so I would need to be using the date/time that a task is placed into Review vs. the date/time it is moved out.

The measurements you are asking about (time in status) do not require use of time tracking.  They would use the issue history information, so you can ignore time tracking if you wish for now.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer