Transition Issue using Smart Value fails with error "Destination status could not be resolved"

Sinio, Paul Andrew April 12, 2021

Hi Experts,

I have 2 rules.  First rule records the previous status in field "GITERP Previous Status" using   {{#changelog.status}}{{fromString}}{{/}}.

image.png

Second rule transitions the status from CUSTOMER ACTION to previous status using smart value   {{issue.GITERP Previous Status}}   in the Transition issue action

image.png

image.png

During testing, it doesn't automatically transition though.  Logs and comment below.

image.png

image.png

May i know your thoughts on what is wrong here?  Did i assign the incorrect smart value in the field "GITERP Previous Status"  in the first rule?  What else can i try there?  Thank you

3 answers

0 votes
Peter July 13, 2021

Has anyone found more information with regard to this? I'm running into the exact same problem described here.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2021

Hi @Peter 

Are you using a team-managed project or a company-managed one?

I wonder about this symptom for team-managed projects, where the status values are defined by project, and so can cause issues when the names are the same as for other projects.  (Dashboards are a good example of where that causes chaos.)

Perhaps a work-around/solution would be to ensure that the ID value for the status is explicitly used instead of the status name...Although I haven't tried that.

Best regards,
Bill

Peter July 13, 2021

@Bill Sheboythank you for the response.  This is a company-managed project.  Using number (in the form of {{fieldChange.from}} instead of {{fieldChange.fromString}} worked!  I had tried this previously, but it must have been before I made some other changes to the Automation, because it didn't work then but works now.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Sinio, Paul Andrew April 13, 2021

Additional changes below were performed but i still get the same error:

"Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status):
QAERPHD-197 (Customer Action - 10399)"

1.  instead of  {{#changelog.status}}{{fromString}}{{/}},   i used   {{#changelog.status}}{{from}}{{/}}  to store the status ID in GITERP Previous Status in the first rule.

2. i tried different Field Types for "GITERP Previous Status"  (Short Text, Paragraph, Number) to store the status ID.

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Sinio, Paul Andrew 

K believe there was an older issue with this that then required a workaround.

See here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Automation-for-Jira-Transition-to-previous-state/qaq-p/837709

Cheers.

Sinio, Paul Andrew April 13, 2021

Hi @Ismael Jimoh ,

Yes, i tried the smart value, {{fieldChange.from}}, which was mentioned in the workaround but it seems it doesn't return any value to the field "GITERP Previous Status".  May i know what am i missing?

image.png

image.png

image.png

Suggest an answer