Transfer workflow from Redmine to Jira

Leonhard Kämmerer November 22, 2018

Hello there,

in our company we are testing a combination of jira-Software, service-desk and confluence to cover a wide filed of requirements.

At the moment we're using redmine and I'm trying to adapt the current workflow into the jira system.
With this I'm not talking about actual "Workflows" in Jira-projects but the way to work with tickets in our company.

I'm a bit worried that the new jira-system could be overwhelming compared to the pretty straight forward usability of redmine.
I know that there has to be a learning process and that jira is the much more powerfull tool. But I want the transition as smooth as possible.

Note: Data-migration is not that big requirment at the moment for us.

First of all: 

1) Is there a way to search for global ticket-numbers in jira?
I know one can search for the pattern [ProjectShort]-[TicketNumberInProject] but maybe there is a more straight forward way.

2) In Redmine one can easily open a project to customers. So developers, project management and customers can working inside the same ticket.
To give customers the opportunity to take part of a project, we want to use the service desk plugin.
When every employee has already a license for jira-software/core we probably only need additional licenses for the service-desk-agents (project management).

I just want to make sure that I got this right:
We have to create a new project in service desk if we want to let customers take part in the project?!
While developers (no agents) cannot access the inside of a service-desk-project, every task which has to be addressed by a developer has to be created in the internal software-project by project-management?!
To take part of an issue in the service-desk-view does not look like an option. ServiceDesk calls this Request participants.

Is there more about this feature I don't see yet?

2.1) I already encountered automation but I couldn't set up the service-desk-project the way that an issue with a particular status is automatically created inside another project as task.

I don't have the option to choose. Can anyone give me a hint.

3) Did anyone encountered this situation before?
I would be glad about a short roadmap of ToDos because the amout of options and possibilities is way to much for an overview.

I already know about these steps:

1. setting up user-groups to use them in workflows
  2. setting up workflows, permission-sets, issue-/ request-types to use them in new projects 
  3. build the portal frontend  
  4. create forms and fields for projects

Thanks for your support.

0 answers

Suggest an answer