Transfer Project from one Jira Cloud instance to another?

Eiren Smith January 10, 2020

Scenario: We have two companies. They might become one company in the future. What would the process be to transfer projects from the Jira Software Cloud instance of one of those companies to the other's Jira Software Cloud instance, if we ever merged the companies?

Note: We don't use Jira Software in production yet.

This community topic (from 2013)

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Transfer-Project/qaq-p/35103

says use CSV and kiss your comments goodbye. We would not want to lose our comments, so I hope today (2020) there's a better solution.

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

The only real solution is the Project Manager (think I have name right) plugin. I don't know if you can install it in the cloud. If not, the work around would be:

Install JIRA on two computers

1. Get a backup of the source JIRA, download it, import the backup to computer 1

2. Get a backup of the target JIRA and import it to computer 2

3. Use the plugin to export the project from computer 1 and import it to computer 2

4. Get a backup of computer 2 and import it into the target cloud instance

Make sure ALL the JIRA instances are the same version

Make sure no one is using any of the systems while doing this.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

if one instance is small you can certainly take a manual approach and sometimes that is a better solution IMO, e.g. the current project config isn’t what you want. In that case yo can create nice clean projects in the new instance and then export/import. Project manager, as I understand, copies all of the current config. 

Suggest an answer