Toggle the ability to add comments to jira tickets on and off

anthony_butler April 9, 2019

Is it possible for me to be able to turn off commenting on a jira ticket at will? I'm looking at setting up only certain groups of people that can comment on tickets but I only need that to be active at certain times.

The way we are set up is that front line agents can add examples to jira tickets to assist in the clean up/identification of issues. At times, this can mean the ticket gets very full very fast and important information can be missed. We also have times where a ticket is raised that we do not need examples for but still, the front line will add them. In this instance, I'd like to turn off comment on that specific issue (apart from the agreed groups). Is this possible? 

I know I can make a project wide settings change to disable comments on everything, but I don't want that. I need it to be issue specific and be able to be turned on and off when needed.

Many thanks, 

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2019

Hello Anthony,

Welcome to Atlassian community.

Unfortunately, JIRA does not have an option to turn off/on the comment on a specific issue on the fly, however, you can use workflow properties to remove the comment based on the workflow status of a specific Issue-type. That's the higher level filter to select which issues should not allow comments.

The steps to configure the property would be:

- Navigate to your Project > Project Settings > Workflows > Edit

- On Diagram view, Click on the statuses/transition you would like to remove the comment option > Properties

- Add the following property:

jira.permission.comment.user = denied

- Publish your workflow

Performing the steps above, it will block the comment section in every status/transition you added the property.

For more information about Workflow Properties, you can check the documentation below:

Workflow Properties

Let me know if this information helps.

Aaron Brown June 14, 2021

This does not work in current jira version

Suggest an answer