Title of parent task changes to title of child task - bug

Roy Nijhuis June 9, 2021

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 16.24.52.pngHi everyone,

I've encountered an issue in Jira when editing the title of a child task and navigating to the parent task while editing.
This seems to be a bug in Jira and I wonder if others experience the same behaviour.

Since it's much easier to explain my workflow with pictures, I attached a few to this message :)

First, go to a subtask.

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 16.20.19.png
Second, click on the title to edit it
Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 16.22.53.png

Now, click on the parent task ID (DATA-5293) at the top while editing the title of the parent ticket.

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 16.24.58.png
As you can see, in the end the title of the parent ticket is changed to the title of the subticket. 

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2021

Hi @Roy Nijhuis  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First thing, when editing a field like that, please select the checkmark to save changes.  Alternatively, you may place the cursor anywhere else except on a field and click to save the change.

Next, I do not see you showing that the title actually changed of the parent...only that the edit still appears to be active and unsaved.  Do you see the edit being saved (without selecting the checkmark) for the parent?

Best regards,

Bill

Roy Nijhuis June 10, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy

Thank you!
You are correct that the title is not saved before clicking somewhere on the screen (or on the checkmark).
However, before I save it, I am unable to see the correct title of the parent ticket and it is very cumbersome to have to manually type this in every time.

The fact that the child ticket title gets copied over to the parent title is quite odd imo, and is something that should not happen, at least not in my workflow.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2021

Hi, Roy. 

To learn if this is in fact a problem, I suggest following your steps, (edit child summary, select parent breadcrumb link), and then selecting the checkmark to save, and see if it indeed updates the parent issue. 

If so that seems like a problem as perhaps selecting the breadcrumb link should:

• abandon the edit and navigate to the parent...or...
  • show the unsaved changes message and not navigate away from the child. 
  • I would hope it doesn't get stuck in the middle.

Based on your results, consider asking your site admin to submit a support ticket to learn what is supposed to happen, and if your observed symptom is a defect: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Thanks!

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2021

Hi @Roy Nijhuis

I fully agree with Bill and wanted to add that I remembered a Bug like this from the past - please kindly check if:

reflects what you are seeing. If this should be the case feel free to vote for the issue over there. In case you want to be notified about it's progress you could also click on "Start watching this issue" over there.

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events