Tickets closed but unresolved after using canned responses

Alex Zimmermann September 16, 2022

I have tons of tickets backed up in my personal queue that have either the Closed or Resolved status, but have an Unresolved resolution field. I couldn't figure out what they had in common, since they all have different workflows (which I thought was initially the problem), but it seems that the common factor is that they're all resolved using a canned response, which has closing the ticket built in as an action. 

Is there a way to add a further step to the canned response in order to make it ask me for a resolution?

Thanks,

Alex

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

@Alex Zimmermann Welcome to the Atlassian community.

My guess is that this is part of your workflow and the transition after the response is provided does not set a resolution.  It could also be an automation but the transition would still be on the workflow and would just need a resolution added to it.  I would suggest looking at the workflow first and seeing if any of the transitions to those statuses are missing a resolution.

Alex Zimmermann September 20, 2022

Hi Brant, 

Yeah, I think it's definitely an issue with the post functions on a couple of the transitions in three different workflows. These are the tickets that are getting stuck in everyone's queue, but I'm unsure what to set it to in order to get the result I need.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

Hello @Alex Zimmermann 

Welcome to the community.

Are these issues in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? A Software project or a Service project?

What do you mean by a "canned response"? Do you mean there is an Automation Rule that is automating the transition to "closed" statuses?

Typically the workflow transitions that execute for changing an issue to a "closed" status need to include a Post Function to set the Resolution field. This is present in the default workflows provided by Jira, but if your workflows have been customized then that Post Function may not have gotten included. Alternately the workflow transition can have a Transition Screen attached to it that presents the Resolution field for you to manually specify the value.

If an Automation Rule is executing the transition and the transition does include that Post Function, then the Resolution field should be getting set. This might not be working if the Post Function has specified an invalid value for the Resolution field.

If the Post Function is present and valid, the issues might have gone through the transition at a date in the past when the Post Function was absent or invalid.

If none of this explains your situation, we will need to get more information from you.

Alex Zimmermann September 20, 2022

Hi Trudy, 

It's a company-managed project. And yes, the canned responses I'm referencing have an automation tied to the end that resolves the ticket, but without bringing up the dialogue box that asked for an actual resolution, it's just changing the status. It definitely seems to be limited to certain tickets, and I've narrowed it down to three workflows that we have. 

Here are what the post functions look like when going from Resolved to Closed:

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 09.51.27.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

From that image it is apparent that the Post Functions do not include a step to set the Resolution field.

If Automation is being used to change the status, of course it will not show a dialog for the Resolution value to be set because Automation runs without human interaction. There would not be a person to pick the resolution value.

You need a post function like this added to those workflows where it is absent.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 7.30.01 AM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events