The Custom Field does not show in Jira Issue Fields Condition

Elif Alverson November 29, 2022

Hello, 

I created multiple fields today however one of them called Teams with drop down menu ( single choice) does not show in the issue field condition section of automation. Could you please let me know what should I do for this field to show?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Hello @Elif Alverson 

The field list for Automation Conditions may not include all custom fields. You could used an Advanced Compare Condition if the field doesn't show up in the list.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-conditions/#Advanced-compare-condition

Or use the JQL condition.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-conditions/#JQL

What should I do to add this new field in the automation ( issue field condition)  section that I can create automations? Is it because single choice drop down? But I have other custom fields with single drop down and I can create automations with them. I am trying to understand why.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

You can't force the field to appear in the Issue Fields Condition. You have to use one of the alternate Condition options, such as the Advanced Compare or JQL conditions.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.54.11 AM.png

Like Elif Alverson likes this

Thank you for your response. I understand that I can not force it. I am just trying to understand the logic behind this.

Like Jesse Kona likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2022

So far I have not found any documentation or issues that explain why some fields and not others are available in the Issue Fields Condition list.

Is your custom field in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

It is in a Team Managed project. As I mentioned before, the rest of the custom fields that I created for this project are visible. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2022

If you are scrolling through the list that comes up by default be advised that the list does not populate with all fields.

Have you tried typing in the name of the field?

I created a Dropdown type custom field in a Team Managed Software project and gave it the same name you specified. I then started an Automation Rule creation and added an Issue Field Condition. When I initially pull down the Field selection and scroll to the top of the list I see that it is listing only 50 of 75 fields and the new field is not in the list.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 3.54.02 PM.png

But if I start typing in Team then the list is reduced to matches which includes my new field.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 3.55.21 PM.png

Suggest an answer