Text search in Jira

Robert Broström August 23, 2017

Hi,

I'm rather new on Jira so this is maybe a very simple question... When I make a search in the upper right corner I'm not always get a hit even if I know that we have a Jira issue in a project with this word or serial number. If I for example make search for a serial number it will just say that there is no hits even if we have issues with this serial number, today I saw that if I write the number manually instead of copy paste it will list issues with this serial number as long as it's not more than 10 characters. Our serial numbers have 12 characters.

Isn't it possible to search for word that are longer than 10 characters? If I search for OW1680008637 it will not find anything but if I take away the two last digits it will list all issues with a serial number that starts with OW16800086 and that could be a lot of serial numbers or issues.

I know that I'm missing something here and it is probably rather easy but I can't find how to do. How should I make a search so I can find the issue with the serial number OW1680008637 in the text?

Thanks!

jira search.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Thor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2017

You should maybe take a look at the "Advanced Search" features of JIRA. It helps you defining more exactly what you are searching for (or where).

Robert Broström August 25, 2017

Thanks, will check that!

Suggest an answer