Tasks and Subtasks - Time Tracking - Roll up

Brent Hetland November 20, 2018

Hi,

We are using JIRA Software and if I create a Task and Subtasks, I would expect to be able to assign Time Estimates and Log Time on the Subtasks, and have those numbers roll up to the parent Task.

Does it not just work this way by default? It is way too hard to have to log time in both the subtasks and the task, and keep them accurate.

I don't see anything in Help about that and while I looked through the community posts, I didn't see my exact, basic question answered. In one post I saw that in the Time Tracking section of the parent, there should have been a "Include Sub-Tasks" checkbox, but I don't have that on my parent task.

Thanks, Brent

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2018

Hello,

Open your task in the issue detail view (old view) and you will see the Time tracking panel, if one of the time tracking fields is set:

Untitled.png

Friendly Giant December 9, 2018

Dear @Alexey Kryzhanovskiy and in which reports are the entries to these fields used for roll-up? 

George Frisby April 27, 2019

Dear @Brent Hetland  - I have been wondering if you got a response on this.  It seems ridiculous that the sub task time does not roll up to the Parent task.  Even the estimate hours does not provide at the Parent task level.  Another significant issue when using JIRA is its apparent inability to provide % complete at any level.  I have been using it for about 2 days now and from a project management perspective its quite limited.  I would love to know if this is possible in your experience of Jira.

Thanks

George

Like # people like this
Carlyle Brown April 10, 2020

Am i missing something, the accepted answer above, is really not a solution to the issue reported of subtask time not rolling up to parent task. Could someone from Atlassian address this correctly. Is Jira able to rollup time from subtask to Parent/Story?

Like # people like this
MB April 29, 2020

I am having same question on subtask.  Are they tracked in reports for time tracking if not rolled up to the parent task?  Is this a bug or intentional?  

This is really a useless field for subtask if not tracked or totaled in the parent task.  

Like # people like this
Eric Jones March 9, 2022

I've followed all the help steps to have my roadmap display the EPIC duration of the underlying tasks and as with all the others here, am not getting the expected results.  Does anyone know how to do this?  

Is there a way to get a support ticket with Atlassian to get help?

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 27, 2021

Hi All,

If you would be interested in a ready made solution, you may want to try out our add-on to manage multiple Epics and their hierarchy on a single page.

Epic Hierarchy is made available on Epic Issue screen as well by the add-on

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

Manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports.

Key features:

• Epic Sum
  • Configure progress % calculation on either "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Epic Tree directly on Issue Screen
  • Display and manage Epics/Issues of your project
  • Real time edit option for Issue summary, status, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree on the Epic Hierarchy
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well
  • JQL support for Epic Hierarchy screen
  • Time in Status report using JQL
  • Issue Tracker to view complete transitions on your issue screen
    • Status Transition : View all the status changes in a single tab along with average time and count in each status. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.
    • Assignee Transition : View all the assignees for the issue along with the time for which the issue was with each assignee. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Cloud.PNG

Epic Hierarchy_Issue Screen_Cloud.PNG

Suggest an answer