Summary must be less than 255 characters

Shrikant Bhosale January 24, 2019

Is any solution or workaround to this for Jira Cloud.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2019

Hello,

Summary must be less than 255 characters. You can not change it. Use the description field. Summary must be a short representation of your issue.

@Alexey MatveevCould you please navigate me to the page where such limits are declared/posted.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2019

I ve never met such a limit in an official doc. But it is there.

0 votes
Dawid Krysiak August 11, 2022

Hi,
In my case it seems to be 100 characters and jira truncates the message to make sure that the front/end of the summary is visible, but replaces the content with '...'. Any ideas where to look for possible configuration issue?

Kind regards
Dawid

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2019

You can't "fix" it because it's not broken.  You can't change it on Cloud (and I wouldn't try it on Jira Server because you'd have to rewrite the core code).

Text fields are limited by the code to match the smallest allowable text field in the standard databases (i.e. 254)

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-I want to know such limits.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2019

Why?  Your users won't remember, and if they go over them, the system will either not let them over-fill the field, or tell them they can't commit oversized strings.

But generally 254 and 32767 are the two limits for short and long text.

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-.

Actually I am migrating from Assembla to Jira with more than 10k tickets. That's why I want to know such limitations.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2019

Ok, you have the numbers now, so you know where to truncate or split any over-sized fields you are copying from Assembla!

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2019

As stated, the summary field limit cannot be modified, but the long text field (e.g. Description, Comments, etc.) length can be modified (at least in Jira server; not sure about Jira cloud) via the jira.text.field.character.limit setting, the default value being 32767.

jira.jpg

Like Koen Gillard likes this

Suggest an answer