Sum up story points to the epic

Ori Gal April 18, 2022

Hellow Jira savvies,

Based on several community guides, I've created an automated rule to calculate the story points under an epic, and update the epic story points filed accordingly. 

The rule seems to be working, but nothing changed in the Epic story points field:

image.png

My Automation rule:

image.png

2. image.png

image.png

image.png

I will appreciate your input on where the problem is at.

Thanks,

Ori

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2022

I believe the issue is with the use of "subtasks". Task, Story and Bug types are not "subtasks". Try the following...

{{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2022

There are several posts discussing the method. Here is one I found where Bill did a good job of providing details. How-do-you-sum-up-story-points-to-the-epic-using-jira-automation . There are a couple others in the links under Related content to the right.

Ori Gal April 18, 2022

Hi Jack,

I've updated the rule with your code but no change.

I will try to find the answer in other posts.

Thank you for your help!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2022

Yes follow that other thread and let me know if you get stuck. I can create a rule and test for you later today when I have a moment.

Ori Gal April 18, 2022

That would be amazing!

I followed the post you shared and the result is the same. 

could it be related to the fact that I'm using Jira Could?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2022

No it should work for cloud just fine. Here is another thread offering a solution.

Like James Romano likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2022

Hi @Ori Gal 

Before your Branch please try adding a Lookup Issues action with JQL to match the sibling issues (with the same epic parent).  Then your edit should work.

Please note: 

• if you are using a Company-managed project, the JQL match is on Epic Link, and
  • if you are using a Team-managed project, the match is on parent

Kind regards,
Bill

Ori Gal April 18, 2022

Hi Bill,

Should the lookup be something like this?

issuetype in (story) and "Epic Link" = "{{issue.Epic.Name}}

Thanks,

Ori

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2022

Assuming your trigger issue is a Story that is in an epic, please try to match on the key, such as:

issueType IN (Story) AND "Epic Link" = {{triggerIssue.Epic Link}}

I encourage you to review the linked post that Jack provided as there are some edge-cases to watch for.

Like Ori Gal likes this
Ori Gal April 18, 2022

Bill, it worked. Thank you very much!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
lee_runyon November 1, 2023

Can u post the JQL as a script so others can use?

Suggest an answer