Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do you sum up story points to the epic using jira automation?

How do you sum up story points to the epic using jira automation?

Is there a consequence to summing up the story points to the epic level and updating the epic story points field value?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Neil Wills  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can do that easily with the Lookup Issues action, using JQL to find the issues with your epic's key in their "epic link" field.  There is an example of that summation in the doc link I provided.

Regarding consequences of changing the epic's field, there may not be any.  Epics normally do not have story points and so I do not believe they are used in any built-in reports.

Best regards,

Bill

I noticed that I will have to be careful, if I sum up the points from stories to epics, and I include the epic in the sprint then it will affect the burndown and velocity reports,

I think as a team we will be keeping epics out of the sprint when they contain a number of stories and they are pointed.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Looking at the Epic history, I am resetting Story Points to None

I tried using:  

{{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}

Hi @Neil Wills 

Looking at your draft rule, I think you are missing some pieces to make this complete.  If your use case is "when the story points change for a story, update the parent to contain the sum for its children", consider this example rule:

• trigger: field changes for story points
  • condition: issue type is not epic
  • condition: epic link is not empty
  • action: lookup issues on JQL where "epic link" = {{triggerIssue.epic link}}
  • branch: on epic parent
    • edit issue fields: setting the story points to {{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}

Of note: this works for a company-managed (classic) project.  If you are using a team-managed (next-gen) project, then:

• substitute "parent" for "epic link"
  • substitute "Story Point estimate" for "Story Points"
Like Sven Reiser likes this

To confirm, this is a company manage project

I see that Epic Name is available, the field Epic Link is not listed in the dropdown

Hi! To which dropdown are you referring?

I thought that the 'Issue fields condition' would have provided a field Epic Link, I used a SQL statement instead

Did that then work for you?  If so, please consider marking this question as answered to help others find solutions faster.  Thank you!

This was my initial state, it would seem that this approach did not succeed in retrieving the stories related to the epic for the story was modified.  If you read above you will see that solved my use case with Bill's assistance using a difference approach.  Thank you

ruledef-didnotwork.JPGruledef-didnotwork2.JPG

I found my answer using a different approach, would still like to understand why my original approach did not work

How do you sum up story points to the epic using j... (atlassian.com)

Hi, Neil.  Looking at your original rule, it appears you were missing the action to Lookup Issues with JQL before the Branch... That loads up the children of the epic, and then allows the ...sum to work for story points.

@Neil Wills @Bill Sheboy any suggestions on troubleshooting this function?

Automation appears to be set up correctly, audit log is registering successful events, but Story Points field is not being updated on the Epic.

Any ideas?

2022-01-24_15-24-59.png2022-01-24_15-25-55.png

Hi @Jon Zacharias 

You appear to be matching on Epic Name, and not epic key for the match.  Please try changing your lookup issues JQL in the branch to:

project = {{triggerIssue.project.key}}
AND issueType IN ("story", "Change Request", "Improvement")
AND "Epic Link" = {{issue.key}}

Also, what is the value you are using in the edit?

Kind regards,
Bill

@Bill Sheboy I am in a CMP

And it looks like adding that {[triggerIssue.project}] worked!! How odd since I was seeing the audit log be successful..

The value I am using in the edit is when Story Points changes for Create Issue, Edit Issue

That is good to learn. 

And I hope you caught my typo (wrong bracket type) in that smart value as it should have been:

{{triggerIssue.project.key}}

I will fix the post in case others use it.

@Bill Sheboy now this is not working again after I tried to clean up my JQL query to match yours?

Do you see anything that I messed up? This is the audit log message

pic1.pngpic2.png

Oops...my bad!

{{triggerIssue.project}} is an object, and you only need the key.  Please update the JQL to use:

{{triggerIssue.project.key}}

You are the man! We are SO close :) 

Audit log looks good. Query is updated. Everything is looking good....except the Story Points field isn't actually getting updated!....

Any silver bullets for this last issue? 

pic3.pngpic4.png

Would you please show what you are using for the edit value?  For example, to sum the values from a lookup issues I would use:

{{lookupIssues.Story points.sum|0}}

The |0 at the end handles the edge case of all of the values are empty (null), so return a zero.

@Bill Sheboy I believe I figured it out

I was using {{lookupIssue.Story points.sum}}

I updated it to {{lookupIssues.Story points.sum}}, and it seems to be working

Like # people like this

Thank you to both @Jon Zacharias and @Bill Sheboy for this detailed troubleshooting, it helped me implement this without issue. Cheers guys!

Like # people like this

Let me know if you run into continued issues

Unfortunately, this is not working for me and I cannot work out why. The story gets updated with story points and the rule triggers, it successfully looks up the other stories in the Epic and the rule appears to update the epic (PMP1-17). For some reason, the story points on the epic is not being updated. Your guidance would be appreciated. It is a company managed project

Screenshot 2022-09-16 173555.pngScreenshot 2022-09-16 173521.png

Hi @Ron McFarlane 

Smart values are name, spacing, and case-sensitive.  Please try this instead for your edit:

{{lookupIssues.Story points.sum|0}}

When in doubt for what to use for a smart value, please take a look at this how-to article.  It shows how to load an issue and see all possible smart values.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/

Also note I stuck a default value of zero on the expression.  This will handle the case of all of the story points being empty (null).

Kind regards,
Bill

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 9.57.59 PM.png

This is the configuration I came up with for team managed projects. hope it helps someone.

Hi, it seems lookupIssues option is not avaiable for Jira Server. Any WA to make it work on Jira Server version?

Hi @Fernando Cirino Sato -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For Server/Data Center version, please take a look at bulk-handling option for branches and scheduled triggers.  That allows you to use the {{issues}} smart value to treat them as a set.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/bulk-handling-of-issues-993924653.html

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Fernando Cirino Sato likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events